Best use of light: which films?

Hi,

I was wondering if i could get a few peoples opinions as I'm a novice in the world of cinematography. Im a student, currently working on my final year project - a short 3D animtion. The goal of my project is to look at how traditional lighting techniques used in cinema can be applied to 3D computer animation to create mood. In particular im trying to create a mood of fear and paranioa. I was wondering if i could get professionals opinions of the films that use light to the greatest advantage, in particualr to create a strong visual mood.

Thanks...

• Premium Member

Polanski's "Repulsion" is probably the ultimate paranoia film, followed by his "Rosemary's Baby" and "The Tenant." And John Carpenter's "The Thing".

Film noirs are a good place to start, as well as b&w horror films. And the oddball film like "Night of the Hunter", which defies categorizing. Freddie Francis was also a master at creepy b&w lighting; for example, look at "The Innocents."

thanks!

I'll make sure i check out the Polanski films you mentioned. I'm intending to look into film-noir but i have no idea where to start. The Innocents sounds useful as the majority of the animation will be in black and white.

If anyone else has any sugestions, keep em coming...

yeah ive seen it a couple of times but never payed any real attention/thought to the lighting... i'll maybe go back and rewatch it on your advice...

In Joel's head when he is running through the hallway with Tangerine trying not to be erased, the light is almost taken away except for a bit on the faces of both subjects if I recall correctly. I remember it giving me a weird feeling, and it was the first time a film has ever done that using light.

You need to start with the basics, square 1: check out Dr. Caligari and German Expressionism. You'll see everything you are after evolved from there (and not that much, photographically speaking!)

I'd also look at the way Artaudian theatre was lit too.

here's two cents worth, a wide range of fine, fine styles

Cocteau's "Beauty and the Beast"

"Umbrellas of Cherbourg"

Murnau's "Faust"

Lots of David Lynch's stuff

Anything that Zhang Yimou's directed, esp. "Raise the Red Lantern". Recently: "Hero"

Road to Perdition

good luck

EH

Insomnia

I have only seen the original Norwegian version, and it is one of the very few movies I've seen where the light is one of the characters (set during the midnight sun season).

A few others also come to mind:

The Conformist

Blade Runner

Days of Heaven

Touch of Evil

and the list goes on and on and on... : )

cheers

Kim Sargenius

cinematographer

sydney

• Premium Member

PERSONA

_Ingmar Bergman/sven nykvist

"It takes time to learn how a face will take light. For me,the actor is and will

always be the most important instrument in a film. My ability to capture the

subtleties of a performance depends on using very little light and giving the

actor as much freedom as I possibly can,and also on treating him or her in

such a way that they never feel manipulated or exploited. I make a point of

not annoying actors with light meters or by shining light in their eyes,and I

will always tell them what I am doing. When I worked with Ingrid Bergman on

Autumn Sonata, I wasn't used to working with stand-ins. The first day,Ingrid

said to me,"Sven,how can you work without stand-ins?" For a moment I wasn't

sure what to say. I didn't want to admit that it was mostly for economic reasons;

nevertheless,what I replied was also true; "Its different to light with the stand-

in,because the actors give me inspiration,if I can light them." She said ,"I will

sit behind the camera the whole time,and whenever you want,I'll come up and

stand where you need me." She was wonderful to work with. People often for-

get the personality connection between the cinematographer and the actor is

so important. Good actors react to their lighting." _sven nykvist

Greg

Guest Aaron Slade

How could you go past BARRY LYNDON?

Plus Amelie, City of Lost Children, Delicatessen, Seven, The Game, Fight Club, BLADE RUNNER, ALIEN and Withnail and I