Panasonic wj-4600 special effects generator

Shawn Gallagher

Hi All,

I'm trying to get 2 old, non-synced, 1-tube panasonic cameras (wv-3050s, I think) to work with the panasonic special effects generator (wj-4600). I assume the wavy, messed up lines I saw when I plugged everything in was due to the video signals being out-of-sync. I've tried to do some research, but I can't figure out what piece of equipment I need to rectify this problem.

Is there a cheap solution to this problem? (or if not cheap, will a single piece of equip. solve this?) I'd prefer to keep all the eqip. analouge and from the era (late 70s).

(and yes, I know the 1-tube cameras are really low resolution and generally considered garbage, but I trying to get the effect of an amateur studio from the tube era)

Thanks for your help!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Shawn:

You are correct in that things are out of sync. Do the cameras take genlock? (sometimes called black burst). This is the sync signal that keeps everything in the analog world working together. On the seg, there should be a "sync in" or "genlock" connector (BNC) on the back. (One tv station I worked at had the WJ-4600b a LONG time ago). This is an input for the signal. You will need a simple black burst generator. Connect the signal from one camera thru the BG-50 and on to the seg composite cam 1 in, and then connect BB to the other camera genlock in and to the seg genlock connector. Problem solved! B&H has one by Horita for $260 (model BG-50). Here's more if you want to take a look. http://www.horita.com/. You could also try to find a legacy piece of gear rather than buy new.

Hope that helps. A bit rusty on some of the older tech, but man we had fun with some of that stuff! (If the cameras don't take genlock, then.........hmmmmm??? Could try a digital genlock unit like the Datavideo, but things are starting to get pricey. Not really sure if that would work or not. Should in theory.)

Best,

Kfox

Guest Patrick Nuse
Hi All,

I'm trying to get 2 old, non-synced, 1-tube panasonic cameras (wv-3050s, I think) to work with the panasonic special effects generator (wj-4600). I assume the wavy, messed up lines I saw when I plugged everything in was due to the video signals being out-of-sync. I've tried to do some research, but I can't figure out what piece of equipment I need to rectify this problem.

Is there a cheap solution to this problem? (or if not cheap, will a single piece of equip. solve this?) I'd prefer to keep all the eqip. analouge and from the era (late 70s).

(and yes, I know the 1-tube cameras are really low resolution and generally considered garbage, but I trying to get the effect of an amateur studio from the tube era)

Thanks for your help!!!

I have one of those switchers. If you have to, you can get away with having only one of the cameras be genlockable. where the non genlock camera becomes your genlock signal source. I have some old 3 tube cameras I can sell if your interested. JVC BY110, Panasonic WV555, and others.

• 5 months later...
Guest Patrick Nuse
Do they work?

How much do you want for them?

I live in oakland.

I can sell them for $50.00 (by-110) and (wv-555) I think I have studio controls for the by-110. need to check when I get home.

I also have a rack mount 4 screen monitor set sony 4" B/W. The cameras are in great shape and have no burn in. both output RGB.

for the by-110 I also have a studio cable and RCU. you can have that set for another $50.00