Commercial on the RED

Andrew White

Shot this commercial for Corto Moltedo, an Italian designer bag company. It is going to be featured on their website and play on loop on a TV monitor in their store front. We shot 2 days in NY with an amazing cast and crew who hauled all of camera and G&E up a 7 flight walk up - gotta love East Village apartment buildings. We shot with Zeiss Super Speeds on a Build #16. I shot at a T5.6 most of the time going against the norm because we were going for a very classic, Italian fashion look with deep blacks, high contrast, hard light, and deep DOF. Some of these qualities got dialed back in post, but I think over-all it maintains my original vision. Some of the shots (mainly the one where jealous girl is peering over the balcony) should have been shot with a green screen, but certain production considerations prevented this.

Dir. Roxine Helberg

CC. Brandon Roots

Prod. John Logan

www.2020pictures.com

http://vimeo.com/2608035

Higher res: http://2020pictures.com/Media/46993581.mov

• 3 weeks later...

Was there any thoughts to having in B&W? I feel the sepia throws me off because when I see sepia, I feel there should be a defined period look (like the 40's and 50's) obviously this is modern and I think B&W would work one, it's classier, two, I think the red bag would pop out more. Red isn't sepia at all but it does roll along the same side of the warm color spectrum and blends in when I'm supposing you're trying to focus on the bag. For commercial purposes I would consider B&W for my two reasons. Shot selection wise I think it fits very well for what your trying to do. Very fashion'esque.

I agree about the sky, the sky throws me off a lot. I definitely feel this commercial is suppose to convey class but that orange sky does not do it for me. Then again all this might be out of your control.

Jamie - yeah i agree about the contrast, this was one of the things that got dialed back in post.

Walter - not sure if that's a compliment or an insult

Sing - yeah, it was originally supposed to be B&W and that's how i wanted it, but the director wanted to go with sepia and make the sky orange.

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated.

-Andrew

Edited by Andrew White

• Premium Member
Walter - not sure if that's a compliment or an insult

It was a general complaint. Had nothing to do with you. I appreciate you asking. Far too easy to take something on a screen and think it's personal. I had no problem with what you did. All creative choices. None wrong.

• Premium Member

I think going back to your original vision of b+w would make it so much better than orangey sepia! Directors these days....

Also, I like the song a lot but I just don't think it fits- the song feels like it needs color images to me. Nice effort though- I think if you would have directed it it would have been better! You got the shots you needed though and they look good- post issues aside. Thanks for sharing.