RED ONE vs. Phantom 65...which one produces the best image quality?

Ben Brahem Ziryab

RED ONE or Phantom 65

Both excellent 4K Digital Film Camera's. But which one of them, produces the best image quality?

I am not fully aware of the order price, but I know Phantom 65 cost about 3000$ pr. day to rent, which is way more expensive than RED ONE.

Of course, this discussion will probably not be ideal in 2010 when RED lances there 28K RED EPIC camera.

• Premium Member

I have not seen a side by side of the Phantom 65 and the RED, but I have seen the Phantom HD and the RED. If you take out the issue of resolution, the Phantom HD had a far superior image in terms of latitude and color information. I can assume it would be the same situation with the Phantom 65.

I have dealt with post for both cameras, and they both have their own set of quirks. That said, the Phantom material has vastly more room to manipulate the image before getting serious noise or other artifacts.

There are other factors of working with both cameras on set, but in terms of picture quality, I think the Phantom is superior (again, this is just based on my side by side with the Phantom HD and some limited experience with the Phantom 65).

Kevin Zanit

• 4 weeks later...

Not having worked with either the Phantom HD or the 65, but just using logic, the 65 should woop the RED's ass.

Coming from the DSLR world, full frame cameras of equal resolution to the smaller-sensored ones are appreciably better. The Phantom65 has a very comparable resolution to the RED but has significantly larger photosites as they are spread out over a greater area and, if nothing else, should mean much less noise etc etc...

I can't remember if the Phantom cameras are also CCDs... which makes quite a difference? Anyone know? I can't remember off the top of my head.

I have dealt with post for both cameras, and they both have their own set of quirks. That said, the Phantom material has vastly more room to manipulate the image before getting serious noise or other artifacts.

Not that surprising when you consider that the Phantom RAW files are uncompressed.