what model is this Chinon camera?

Ryan Hannaby

so i found this Chinon at the Goodwill the other day. but im having trouble figuring out which model it is as all the badges have be ripped off of it. It takes 4xAA and 2xmercury/zinc battaries and printed on the lens is "CHINON Reflex Zoom Lens f:1.7 6.5 ~ 65mm"

also im wondering, there isn't much left of the eye cup and its getting a bit messy (tar like) does anyone know if there would be a suitable replacement ?

here are 2 quick photos i took

imga0234yb0.jpg

imga0235xu1.jpg

i know one of those two buttons on the side make the camera run at a faster speed i presume its 36fps.

thanks in advance

Edited by Ryan Hannaby

No idea of the model, but if the eyecup is going, so is the interior belt used to drive the shutter. I have a 1206SM which had the interior belt melt away on me. However, I replaced it with a rubber band, and all is good in the world. Camera is one of my two main now.

I got rid of the eyecup and never bothered to replace it.

Thanks Nate. As per you suggestion i removed the crappy old eyecup.

ive also take some better pictures so maybe someone is able to better identify this camera

imga0255xv6.jpg

imga0257dy5.jpg

of the 2 buttons on the side the one on the left makes the camera run faster FPS as mentioned. the one on the right doesn't seem to do anything

imga0258zw8.jpg

imga0262gh1.jpg

Reads a wide aray of Film speeds and also has a switch on the top and side for 500ASA

also the white print on the inside of the door says "071" and i know there is a Chinon 1071 but..

621c1br5.jpg

this is a 1071 DeLuxe i found on ebay snazzy faux wood paneling and this one dosnt have the switch for 500asa film

c1072sdeluxe01kl8.jpg

then there is this guy the 1072 DeLuxe which has some other little buttons but is most like mine and square fade button mine is round

c1072sdeluxe04hx8.jpg

doesn't have the 500asa switch on the side but looks like it may have it on the top

on top of mine there is also dial for auto and manual Exposure

there seems to very limited info on the net about these cameras. http://www.super8data.com/ has data for a 1070 1071 1072 and lists a 1000 but has no info for it. Aswell im not sure if there are both DeLuxe and non-DeLuxe versions of each. and there is also some confusion with respect to running 36fps or 48fps when cross referenced with super8wiki.

I guess it doesn't really so much matter it would just be nice to know a bit more about this camera before i go test it out. which im sure you can all appreciate.

again thanks for taking the time

Edited by Ryan Hannaby

Thanks Nate. As per you suggestion i removed the crappy old eyecup.

ive also take some better pictures so maybe someone is able to better identify this camera

imga0255xv6.jpg

imga0257dy5.jpg

of the 2 buttons on the side the one on the left makes the camera run faster FPS as mentioned. the one on the right doesn't seem to do anything

imga0258zw8.jpg

imga0262gh1.jpg

Reads a wide aray of Film speeds and also has a switch on the top and side for 500ASA

also the white print on the inside of the door says "071" and i know there is a Chinon 1071 but..

621c1br5.jpg

this is a 1071 DeLuxe i found on ebay snazzy faux wood paneling and this one dosnt have the switch for 500asa film

c1072sdeluxe01kl8.jpg

then there is this guy the 1072 DeLuxe which has some other little buttons but is most like mine and square fade button mine is round

c1072sdeluxe04hx8.jpg

doesn't have the 500asa switch on the side but looks like it may have it on the top

on top of mine there is also dial for auto and manual Exposure

there seems to very limited info on the net about these cameras. http://www.super8data.com/ has data for a 1070 1071 1072 and lists a 1000 but has no info for it. Aswell im not sure if there are both DeLuxe and non-DeLuxe versions of each. and there is also some confusion with respect to running 36fps or 48fps when cross referenced with super8wiki.

I guess it doesn't really so much matter it would just be nice to know a bit more about this camera before i go test it out. which im sure you can all appreciate.

again thanks for taking the time

From the pictures it looks identical to an ST/1000 (I have one in front of me) but that "071" in the door suggests it may be a 1071. There were many tiny variations on these models. What I find intersting on most of these is that the lens focus ring has markings all the way to 100 feet before hitting infinity.

Rick

Hi Rick:

Looks identical to a GAF ST1000 I have:

http://s466.photobucket.com/albums/rr22/le...current=GAF.png

Additional images and some copies of the service manual can be found here as well:

http://s466.photobucket.com/albums/rr22/le...urrent=GAF3.png

Here is a thread from last August, along with some test footage:

http://www.cinematography.com/forum2004/in...2691&hl=gaf

...and some recent footage which was less than stellar here, but serves me right for using 500 ASA on a bright sunny day. The daylight filter on mine seems to degrade the images, the 500 ASA switch swings the filter into place as well. It also scratches the film whenever I use it, so it's probably in a dilapidated state.

http://vimeo.com/2374715

You guys Rock!

mystery solved

It all makes sense now. I think remember reading somewhere (maybe here) that Chinon was one of the largest manufactures of super 8 cameras and made them for other companies or something to that effect. I guess thats why it looks so similar to the actual Chinon cameras, and with the Chinon Lens i guess thats what threw me off. So what i have is actually a GAF ST1000. I guess the GAF 500 switch on the side should have been a dead giveaway i just didn't make that connection (duh).

The only thing wrong aside from missing its badges is the auto zoom only works out (all i have to do is tap W and it goes without holding it) in (T) for some reason doesn't work at all (i guess thats what you get for $3.99 at the goodwill). not sure if its worth getting serviced any thoughts?

Art:

thanks for the links, helpfull yet mildly confusing (maybe i should reread it not at 3:30am) ;) loved the outtakes

Thanks everyone for the help :D its very much appreciated

oh i forgot to ask on other thing: what are the plugs on either side of the handle for?

Thanks Ryan:

Don't have a user manual the only thing available from Craig's Cameras was the service manual. There are no illustrations other than schematics and exploded parts views, but from what I can see they're listed as single frame, remote control and battery recharger receptacles.