Best Plugins for B&W Conversion - Final Cut Pro

Joe Taylor

Going to be shooting a music video with a RED ONE that will be released as B&W.

Can anybody guide me in the right direction as were to start from image acquisition to final release. I know there are many plugins for digital b&w still photography, but I have not been so lucky to find a b&w plugin for Final Cut.

With Canon EOS cameras, the shooter can actually set the camera up for B&W and even use B&W filters. I'm not sure this is doable with the RED ONE.

Research, on my part, is needed. I have time.

You can do B&W in Color (Color in the FCS 2 suite).

There is Red Giant "Looks" as an FCP plugin, tho I haven't used it.

http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/products/a...c-bullet-looks/

I do conversions to B&W in Shake which can offer a great degree of control & finesse but that will not be fast.

With DSLR's selecting a B&W mode means the camera is doing the conversion for you, (or in RAW mode is using that model of conversion as a picture control setting) based on a kind of typical weighting of converting RGB values; it can look OK but you have far more control if you DIY.

-Sam

Would there be any benefits with shooting with b&w colored filters in RED RAW then converting with COLOR?

No just the opposite IMO. In a sense the more differentiated color values you have the more greyscale values you can map them to.

-Sam