Hi,

I'm a working AC/DIT and aspiring cinematographer, with some credits as a DP. I've been toying with the idea of improving my education (2 years of media school, a bunch of short courses) with some formal training in cinematography.

I was looking for some 1 year program centered in cinematography and lightning.

I've just found about these Extension Program with a concentration in Cinematography in UCLA and seems to fit my mind, at least in the time / money way.

I'm wondering if this program would be worth it. I'm looking for something like the MA in Cinematography in NFTS in UK, but I don't think I can stop my career going here for so long. Also I'm really interested in having a try in LA industry as a spark or AC while studying, so I'm applying for a temp green card. How's the procedure with unions to get some internship or temp jobs there?

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Jose

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I haven't tried the program or heard of it, but I can say there is no one size fits all to get into the industry. You don't need to be union here to work on stuff, just you can't work on union stuff without joining the union. Most people put it off until they have a lot of union jobs lined up.

Also, I would think that getting a green card/visa while student someplace would be a bit easier than without one, so perhaps part-timing it at UCLA as a student while moonlighting on some smaller stuff here in the states could be a good idea-- jsut my few cents.

• Premium Member
I haven't tried the program or heard of it, but I can say there is no one size fits all to get into the industry. You don't need to be union here to work on stuff, just you can't work on union stuff without joining the union. Most people put it off until they have a lot of union jobs lined up.

Also, I would think that getting a green card/visa while student someplace would be a bit easier than without one, so perhaps part-timing it at UCLA as a student while moonlighting on some smaller stuff here in the states could be a good idea-- jsut my few cents.

Adrian says it best!

• 4 weeks later...