Anyone use DVDxDV to pull footage for reels?

Mike Washlesky

Been using DVDxDV to pull footage from various finished project DVDs I have shot for use on my reel. Has anyone used this app for this reason, and if so, any sync issues in FCP? Been running into a consistent problem and am looking for alternatives.

while on the topic... has anyone had success with iTunes Store M4V? I downloaded the series I worked on and can't get past the DRM. Mac running 10.5.6

I use both Handbreak and DVDxDVPro, but HandBrake works best.

Edited by Alfeo Dixon

while on the topic... has anyone had success with iTunes Store M4V? I downloaded the series I worked on and can't get past the DRM. Mac running 10.5.6

I use both Handbreak and DVDxDVPro, but HandBrake works best.

Download the program MPEG Streamclip. Whenever I have a video format that doesn't cooperate for some reason, I open it with Streamclip and export it as another file type and it works fine. I've never tried a M4V though.

I have used it many times. It was the go to program at the commercial production company I used to run. I liked it because you can go to QT directly to 8-bit uncompressed (which is what all our Dbeta and Beta source materials were captured at). It got buggy at times, but on the whole, it worked well.

Been using DVDxDV to pull footage from various finished project DVDs I have shot for use on my reel. Has anyone used this app for this reason, and if so, any sync issues in FCP? Been running into a consistent problem and am looking for alternatives.

Hi Mike:

Yes, I have used DVDxDV for years and yes, sometimes randomly the clips it pulls seem to be out of sync by quite a bit. I don't know why and it's not hard to line them up again but it is annoying.

Dan

• Premium Member

I just do it with the free tool mplayer, because I'm a geek, but you can still get sync problems. It's due to the audio and video streams being treated separately and then subject to correction in the DVD player, and it's tough to fix.

This is a subject of critical interest to people who pirate movies on the internet, and more information can be found on the sort of websites they frequent.

P

Hi Mike:

Yes, I have used DVDxDV for years and yes, sometimes randomly the clips it pulls seem to be out of sync by quite a bit. I don't know why and it's not hard to line them up again but it is annoying.

Dan

Its weird right? Whats even stranger, is the thumbnail image of the clip on the timeline will be a totally different one than from the actual clip. Then the bugs really come out in Final Cut.

I just do it with the free tool mplayer, because I'm a geek, but you can still get sync problems. It's due to the audio and video streams being treated separately and then subject to correction in the DVD player, and it's tough to fix.

This is a subject of critical interest to people who pirate movies on the internet, and more information can be found on the sort of websites they frequent.

P

Well not looking to pirate movies, just getting my footage off DVDs which is why I posted this question here and not on websites catering to illegal duplication.