right vehicle for a starting DP?

Ian Coad

I was thinking the same thing Mr. Boddington.. you beat me to it! Tho I (personally) prefer an early '70s 246 GTB... she has got the sexiest curves I have ever seen on a car. We had one in the garage while I was in high school and man did that thing help with the women!

because i don't know whether the expectations of lugging equipment around will be an issue for crewing and being hired on low/no budget productions? most films have some sort of a grip truck. can i rely on this?

thanks.

- ian coad.

I have an estate car fold the seats down and its ideal for Dolly track and any other equipment like monitors generators lights etc. OR old fridges and many other things you want to dump. Its great for even sleeping in if you had to. Although its not as cool as a ferrari and it may not get you jobs as you look like someone who wont be charging much. Better to have a ferrari for all those flush film makers with gold cards..

my everyday car is also my first, it is a 20year old volvo 740 estate with currently 320thousand km on the clock.

it's pretty (by my standards), build like a tank, easy to fix, has lots of room (for european standards), and probably is even good on gas for american standards.

the back seats fold completely flat, giving you either a two meter long king sized bedside, or if you only fold down half of the back seat, space for 3 and a tutti completti moviecam SL package all in cases plus sticks and head plus a magliner!

DSC00107.jpg

especialy when starting out and doing low/no-budget stuff you don't want transportation to be a limiting factor too...

i'd suggest getting some kind of estate. i'd even go a step further and suggest buying what i have!

if that whole film deal ain't working out, i'm gonna be a used car salesman.