Reel and entrance

Hey everyone,

My name is Maxim, Belgian, and I'm new to this forum. I've been reading it for some time now, but now I finally felt like registering and join some of the interesting discussions.

I would like to know what you guys think of my reel. It's very basic and it might take a bit too long, but I really would love to hear your opinion nonetheless.

http://www.eyedream.be/reel/

The footage is a mixture of Super16mm, 16mm, 35mm DOF adapters, Video and some 35mm shots. I have to say it does not contain all my work since some things didn't get cleared by the production company I often work for.

Really looking forward to your opinions.

Greetings,

Maxim

Beautiful work Maxim!

If I may offer, I would re-edit cutting each shot in half and in doing so doubling each shots impact. You have some great shots and if the editing was tightened they would each render a more dynamic impression. Don't show us all that you labored for.. just give us a glimpse and let us paint the rest of the picture. That is the magic of editing. I know it is a difficult thing to do.. go labor over some shots.. then hack them down in the editing room.. but the more I shoot and edit the more I see how important this discipline is.

Hi Maxim,

Welcome to the forums.

Your reel is very good. You clearly have control over a wide range of aesthetics. It's definitely too long, but you might be able to shorten it by not revisiting scenes / environments later in the reel. It looks like you have enough material to separate your reel in two parts as well, one for music video and one for narrative.

Thanks for sharing your work!

Thanks for the swift replies Mike & David!

You're right. It has always been a pain for me to cut everything shorter, but I honestly believe you guys when you say I should cut everything shorter. Looks like I'm heading back to the editing table then.

Thanks so far!

Maxim, you have plenty to work with.. I (personally) would not fret over mixing commercials with music videos etc.. esp if you are marketing yourself as a DP.. as in this case it is Image only that matters... right? If you are a Production Company then you may want to subdivide.. but in any case... trim, trim, trim, trim.. kick my ass in two minutes...... or less!

Edited by David Rakoczy

• 2 weeks later...