Canon XL-1 PAL Format

filofilm

A gentleman is interested in selling me his Canon XL-1 camera. The only problem I am having is that it is PAL. I am not video savy in any way, so I know little of the benefits and setbacks of PAL, especially with the Canon XL-1.

Could any be kind enough to take the time and explain?

Any help is appreciated.

A gentleman is interested in selling me his Canon XL-1 camera. The only problem I am having is that it is PAL. I am not video savy in any way, so I know little of the benefits and setbacks of PAL, especially with the Canon XL-1. Could any be kind enough to take the time and explain?

Benefits to PAL:

* Higher resolution than NTSC

* Better color subsampling than NTSC

* Framerate easy to convert into or out of

* Easier to transfer to 24fps film

Setbacks, if in NTSC territory:

* Unable to view on standard television (must be converted first)

* Possible excessive flickering when around 60Hz sources, such as television screens or fluorescent lamps

* Possible need of power converter (?)

If I were you and bought the camera, I would also purchase a PAL-->NTSC converter box so as to be able to view footage on a television whenever I please. For editing, however, you would import as PAL, then make the necessary adjustments to get a compatible NTSC stream.

When planning a transfer to film and access to an HD camera is unavailable, a PAL camera would undoubtedly be the best choice, for not only does it have added resolution and better color, but modern area-based deinterlacers can give you almost a perfect progressive 25fps stream that can be transferred to film with little problem.

The film 28 Days Later was shot with PAL XL-1's (but different lenses, I believe).

Some links about NTSC and PAL:

http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Articles/PALv...C/PALvsNTSC.asp

http://www.high-techproductions.com/pal,ntsc.htm