P&S Technik Pro 35 Digital Image Converter

racso

I have used it. I have thoroughly tested it. I had it in a physical test environment up next to a P+S Techink Mini35 and a MOVIetube. I stand by my earlier statement.

It is a device for home hobby filmmakers at best. I would never make a comment about a device without first making sure that I know what I'm talking about. Perhaps you should research back to the past 8-10 years that I've been contributing to this forum and then decide whether you wish to blast me.

I wasnt blasting you, your opinion just seemed a little harsh. Did you test the new version that is selling for $900? Surely not as professional as the P&S and lacks the support of Redrock but for the price it produces great images. The hole is your wallet is surely much less than that of the Movietube or P&S =o)

I personally dont understand attaching a $5k to $10k adapter to a $3K camera... If I have a job that calls for such, I just rent a better camera.

Here is some footage from the new Letus35XL v2

http://www.pinelakefilms.com/XLH1/DisjectaLetus.wmv

ash =o)

PS the XL version of the Letus is IMHO the only version of the adapter that I would use.

Are you selling these things or what? You sure are doing your best to promote them. If you'd like to advertise, you should be some ad space on the forum.

LOL, no... just offering a counter opinion. If I were selling them I prolly would not be trashing the non XL models. For what it is worth, I rarely use the mini35 stuff in a professional environment. I generally agree that the low cost solutions are more for hobbyist work.

ash =o)

• Premium Member
LOL, no... just offering a counter opinion. If I were selling them I prolly would not be trashing the non XL models. For what it is worth, I rarely use the mini35 stuff in a professional environment. I generally agree that the low cost solutions are more for hobbyist work.

ash =o)

Gotcha. I guess you're just enthusiastic.

• 2 weeks later...
I have used it. I have thoroughly tested it. I had it in a physical test environment up next to a P+S Techink Mini35 and a MOVIetube. I stand by my earlier statement.

It is a device for home hobby filmmakers at best. I would never make a comment about a device without first making sure that I know what I'm talking about. Perhaps you should research back to the past 8-10 years that I've been contributing to this forum and then decide whether you wish to blast me.

Hi Mitch,

A bit off topic, but I have used the P+S for both SD+HD (mini/Pro35) and liked them (particularly the pro-35 with F900). I am being asked to use the Movietube with the JVC HD100 on a short, have you done any side-by tests with this set-up?? (I know the movietube makers dont gaurantee the use of the JVC with their adaptor but they say it "should work") I have never used the movietube, I plan to test it soon at Able in LA, but just wanted to get your thoughts on it compared to the P+S.

Cheers.

I have not tested the MOVIEtube with the JVC HD100 as it would be ungainly at best. We do rent them both, so maybe if I can spare some time I'll try to set them up. The support rods for the camera would need to be swapped out for longer ones to accomodate the JVC's relatively long physical length, but that's the only real challenge. I have set up the MOVIEtube with a Canon XL-2 at a client's request. It did work, but it was also about 2.5 feet tall!

I have not tested the MOVIEtube with the JVC HD100 as it would be ungainly at best. We do rent them both, so maybe if I can spare some time I'll try to set them up. The support rods for the camera would need to be swapped out for longer ones to accomodate the JVC's relatively long physical length, but that's the only real challenge. I have set up the MOVIEtube with a Canon XL-2 at a client's request. It did work, but it was also about 2.5 feet tall!

Hi Mitch,

Thanks for the reply, In genereal what do you think comparatively of the two systems (outside of the obvious inherent design differences; no spinning parts etc...) I haven't really heard much comparatively about the image quality or usability on set (focusing the adaptor etc..).

Cheers.

I think the Movietube is far easier to mount to the camera and use in the field. I think that the MOVIEtube has a far nicer image, with a more filmic look due to its micro-crystalline emulsion focusing screen which mimics the light scattering of film emulsion. I think the MOVIEtube has a measureably sharper image with no artifacting from a spinning groundglass.

I kinda think the MOVIEtube blows the competition away.

Thanks Mitch,

That was what I have heard all around from people and literature concerning the movietube.

I am trying to contact Ian in LA to schedule a test W/JVC HD100, If it works out I will be using it for an upcoming short. I will let everyone know the results of the test/shoot in case anyone's interested.

cheers.