pdw 700 for chromakey?

Hendy Witanto

Hallo,

I would like to aks you, what camcorder i should buy to my little foto/video studio. I want to specialize my studio for smaller greenscreen projects, mainly (almost only)for web solution...

i made it till now with reflexmedia 4x3m, green-ring and XL-2. It does not work at all.. (only half close-up was so-so...)

Now i have money for improvement and i am looking for new solutions. I would like to know what is your opinion about sony PDW 700 and chromakey... My budget is 50.000 $ for camcorder, lens and lightning... and i want to gather data directly to the mac.

I do not know, if it is possible (for this money) to buy something that really!!! works...

My firs choice for now is probably PDW700, but may be there is something better, or am i complettly wrong?

thank you for your advices.... from Prague, Hendy.

• 5 weeks later...

Hendy

I think the PDW700 would be great for green screen. I've tested the camera extensively and one of the first tests I did was using green screen. It was very easy to pull a key because it has 422 color sampling and is a full resolution image. The images it produces are very amazing. The only other camera I would suggest would be the HPX3000, which seems like it is out of your price range.

Andy

• 4 weeks later...

I've shot greenscreen with a variety of HD cameras and the thing to remember is that (as I've been told by compositors again and again) most of getting good keys from greenscreen is lighting it properly.

I've used an EX-1, a smaller camera, on a complicated greenscreen and the DP know what he was doing and got great keys.

If you want to save some money, an EX1 will do a great job, as long as your in progressive mode or recording the HD-SDI signal to computer. Native EX color space is 4:2:0 which keys fine in progressive, but in interlace gets pretty saw toothed. If you record HD-SDI you get 4:2:2 which keys well in both modes. The EX also has decent detail settings to let you tweak edge detail if needed.

An EX1 with a Wafian HD-SDI recorder gives you 1920*1080 10bit 4:2:2 Cineform for around 15K I think?. The only advantage for small studio green screen you might get out of a 700 would be the lens, but you then only get 8bit. You could always go EX3 with a broadcast lens for an extra 10K or so.