FL-B Fluorescent Filter for Tungsten Film

Will Montgomery

• Premium Member

I'm shooting in a pre-school next week. It's a promotional film for a private school. I'll be shooting V3 500T 16mm and I'm concerned about the lighting. I won't be able to disturb the children/class very much; it's supposed to be the kids doing their thing and not staged.

I'll have very little flexibility with lighting. Currently it is fluorescent lights are large windows with plenty of sunlight. Probably one of the worst combinations I could have.

Do I need to use a FL-B Fluorescent Filter when I'm away from the windows or should I just go with an 85 filter since there will be so much sun through the windows?

Much will be fixed in transfer but I'd like to get as close as possible with filters.

Thanks for any insight!

• Premium Member

Color negative has a lot of latitude and filters aren't going to fix a color temp mismatch anyway, they can only provide overall correction, so the FL filter may make the daylight too magenta in some shots. If you have enough exposure, use the 85, otherwise try the LLD or no filter and correct it in post. If there is plenty of daylight anyway, maybe you can turn the overheads off, or half of them off.

I'll have very little flexibility with lighting. Currently it is fluorescent lights are large windows with plenty of sunlight. Probably one of the worst combinations I could have.

I just shot in the exact same situation. Windows with light coming in and overhead fluorescent. I used filters based on what the dominant light was. In the end the lab corrected everything and despite all my worrying it all came out looking fine! I was shooting on Vision3 500T.

That being said, you will definitely have to make some type of compromise if you shoot directly into a window with fluorescent bulbs also in the shot. I had a shot like that and basically it was just corrected so everything looks good but the bulbs have a green tint to them.