Prime &/or Zoom Lenses with filter sizes less than 52mm

Hi Guys & Girls,

Im looking for some primes or a decent zoom lens (for use on 16mm) with front filter size equal to or less than 52mm. The reason being i have recently bought an anamorphic attachment lens and want to be able to stick it in front, and at the same time not get any vignetting, or keep it to a minimal on a zoom lens. If anyone could suggest any, that would be great, as its hard to find any info over the old www with these specifics.

Cheers, Kane.

• Premium Member
Im looking for some primes or a decent zoom lens (for use on 16mm) with front filter size equal to or less than 52mm. The reason being i have recently bought an anamorphic attachment lens and want to be able to stick it in front, and at the same time not get any vignetting, or keep it to a minimal on a zoom lens. If anyone could suggest any, that would be great, as its hard to find any info over the old www with these specifics.

What mount?

Regards, Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Any idea of what lenses fit the description? I got the anamphoric in the post today and it looks brand new. Bigger and heavier than i thought it was going to be though. I suppose some support will be needed. Can't wait to be able to use this thing!

Edited by Kane George Jason

• Premium Member

Hi Kane,

all my Bolex primes have filter thread diameters less than 52mm. The ones I own are Kern Switars and an Yvar. I also know that there are numerous other C mount lenses in the category. Almost all the primes I know of.

Cheers, Dave

I also know that there are numerous other C mount lenses in the category. Almost all the primes I know of.

Cheers, Dave

Almost all c-mount primes? Well how come 'almost' cant have Canon FD's in its category! Its a shame, since i already have a little set of them!

Do you know of a good way to mount this lens infront of the main lens? Is there some type of rail/matte combination that would work out best with this set up? It would be great if the anamorphic didnt have to be wound onto the main lens, then I wouldnt have to re-centre it to make sure it was in the right anamorphic position.

Thanks, Kane.

• Premium Member
Almost all c-mount primes? Well how come 'almost' cant have Canon FD's in its category! Its a shame, since i already have a little set of them!

Hi Kane,

of the Nikon primes (which, unlike Canon, I am familiar with) quite a number have threads of 52mm. Isn't that the case with some Canons too?

As for mounting the thing, I guess some kind of rail support with a lens cradle would be the best idea. But I'd think mounting it to the main lens would be good to keep it flat and dirt out of the space in between!

Cheers, Dave

Hey Dave,

It seems I should have looked at the Nikon's instead of the FD's. The FD's are all bigger, well the ones I have anyway, with the smallest at 55mm. Maybe i should look at getting rid of my FD's and get some Switars... How sharp are the Switars compared with your Nikon's primes?

Yeah, i guess connecting the two lenses is the best thing for both of them :P

Kane.

• Premium Member
It seems I should have looked at the Nikon's instead of the FD's. The FD's are all bigger, well the ones I have anyway, with the smallest at 55mm. Maybe i should look at getting rid of my FD's and get some Switars... How sharp are the Switars compared with your Nikon's primes?

The Switars have a good reputation for sharpness, but I can't really compare them ATM as I have no adapter here to use them on my Bolex and my Eclair (and the adapter) are still in shop. But the lenses I own are of late 70s to early 80s vintage and some have excellent records for sharpness.

Regards, Dave

• Premium Member
Just one more little question, sharpness is good, but how do they fair in the colour depatment, are they very contrasty?

I have to pass on that one. I have shot only B&W so far. And I'd guess it depends on whether we're talking about older or newer Switars as the latest series were multi-coated.

Cheers, Dave

I have to pass on that one. I have shot only B&W so far. And I'd guess it depends on whether we're talking about older or newer Switars as the latest series were multi-coated.

No problems Dave, you have been a huge help, thanks :)

If anyone else has had any experience with the Switar primes or other primes with filter thread of under 52mm, please let me know how they went.

Thanks, Kane.

• Premium Member
Dave/anyone, do you know whether or not the Switar RX lenses will be compatible with cameras like 4008 or ACL's since the lens is for the bolex REFLEX?

Hi Kane,

Reflex lenses will be compatible with C mount cameras mechanically and IF you stop down to around f4 you should get a sharp picture. Lenses for RX have a FFD of 20.76mm to accommodate the prism for finder instead of the normal 17.52mm. This is applicable when using non RX lenses on a Bolex RX or when using RX lenses on other cameras. However this applies only to lenses <75mm. With longer focal lengths the depth of focus is large enough even when wide open!

Cheers, Dave

PS: This question has been asked numerous times in the past, no doubt a search will yield more complete info!

PPS: As for mounting a C mount lens on the Beaulieu 4008, hm. I think nothing should keep you from doing that mechanically with a D to C mount adapter, but the above restrictions would apply nevertheless.

Reflex lenses will be compatible with C mount cameras mechanically and IF you stop down to around f4 you should get a sharp picture. Lenses for RX have a FFD of 20.76mm to accommodate the prism for finder instead of the normal 17.52mm. This is applicable when using non RX lenses on a Bolex RX or when using RX lenses on other cameras. However this applies only to lenses <75mm. With longer focal lengths the depth of focus is large enough even when wide open!

PS: This question has been asked numerous times in the past, no doubt a search will yield more complete info!

Yes, i thought they weren't 100% usable/compatible; the RX lenses and non reflex cameras. Stopping down to f4 is a little restricting in certain places/situations.

Sorry i didnt search it in the forum, i usually do before posting a question, i just got carried away. See, in a way its your fault i asked without searching, because if you weren't so helpful, i would have had to search :) But seriously, thanks for your help!

• Premium Member
See, in a way its your fault i asked without searching, because if you weren't so helpful, i would have had to search :) But seriously, thanks for your help!

Hi Kane,

hehe, you're welcome. I know, I got lazy once or twice too and didn't search thoroughly as I should have!

Cheers, Dave

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
I see that some Switar's are sold on old 8mm Bolex camera's... Are these going to be compatible with 16mm? Or only the Switar's found on the 16mm camera's? Thanks.

Only the latter I am afraid! 10/1.6, 16/1.8, 25/1.4 & 1.5, 26/1.1, 50/1.4, 75/1.9. Those are all Switars for 16mm!

Cheers, Dave