Which lens should i use to get this picture?

Hi,

I need your help to for lens angle selection;

I have following nikon lens kit;

Tokina 11-16mm

Nikon 20mm

Nikon 28mm

Nikon 50mm

Nikon 85mm

Nikon 135mm

Nikon 80-200mm

And i need to get these pictures

Can you help me which lens should i use to get the following frames?

(Ex: picture 1=20mm, picture 3=50mm)

Picture 1

1338052.jpg

Picture 2

1338055.jpg

Picture 3

1338056.jpg

Picture 4

1338059.jpg

They definitely aren't on the long end... probably 28 - 50. It is very difficult to tell exactly. Often times a 20 at a 2.8 can look similar to a 50 at an 8 or 11...

Why not take all your lenses with you? You will quickly know what you need (want) to use.

Hi Ergin,

what format are we talking about here? Because your focal length will be very different in 16mm and with a full frame 35mm DOF adapter (24x36mm). Nice kit BTW. Do you own these? And what are the speeds?

Regards, Dave

Hi Dave,

I have RED One camera. So i need 35mm frame.

Most of them f2.8 except 50mm (f1.4) and 85mm (f1.8)

So what is your opinion about picture/lens?

They definitely aren't on the long end... probably 28 - 50. It is very difficult to tell exactly. Often times a 20 at a 2.8 can look similar to a 50 at an 8 or 11...

Why not take all your lenses with you? You will quickly know what you need (want) to use.

Hi David,

Actually i am the DOF type of guy. I like telephoto. But then i saw movie Code 46 and everything changed:). Now i really like some wideangle type of frame. but i want to be sure if it is really superwide (like 11 mm) or wide (like 20 or 28 mm) or standart (50mm) or may be soome telephoto can give such a frame?

That is why i asked to be sure..

ergin

• Premium Member
Hi Dave,

I have RED One camera. So i need 35mm frame.

Most of them f2.8 except 50mm (f1.4) and 85mm (f1.8)

So what is your opinion about picture/lens?

Hi Ergin,

one thing I'm still curious about: the Tokina is only meant for DX/APS-C size sensors. How does it fare on the RED? Does it cover all the way to the wide end?

As for lenses used in these shots, I'd try around 50 to 75mm on a full frame sensor. You might try a zoom on a film or full frame DSLR when scouting your location and see what you like.

Regards, Dave

PS: I envy you for that 20/2.8! Nice lens! Is it the MF or AF version?

one thing I'm still curious about: the Tokina is only meant for DX/APS-C size sensors. How does it fare on the RED? Does it cover all the way to the wide end?

Looks like the biggest APS-C sensors are 28.7×19.1 mm, although DX sensors are usually generally smaller than 23.7 x 15.8 mm. Red One sensors are 24.4 x 13.7 mm. Being that Tokina manufactures lenses in a variety of mounts, to fit APS-C sensors, the likelihood is that they designed their lenses to cover at least 28.7×19.1 mm, which would cover Red One sensors at all focal lengths. Or one would think so.

• Premium Member
Looks like the biggest APS-C sensors are 28.7×19.1 mm, although DX sensors are usually generally smaller than 23.7 x 15.8 mm. Red One sensors are 24.4 x 13.7 mm.

Hi Saul,

nope. That's not true. 28.7×19.1 mm is called APS-H not APS-C. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APS-C. Tokina's homepage states that that lens is designed for APS-C only. View page here. My guess is that it would vignette wide open on the very wide end, but maybe not above 12 or 13 since the difference between the RED's sensor and APS-C Nikon flavour isn't that large (.7mm horizontally).

Regards, Dave

• Premium Member

2 and 4 look like a mother/daughter pair to me so maybe 25mm and 50mm. Maybe it's 20mm/40mm.

Having been there, 1 and 3 look very much as the place looks to your eyes so I would guess they are roughly normal. Now roughly normal could easily be 25, 32, or 40.

These are pretty rough. It's pretty tough guessing focal lengths like that but you have a set that should do fine. It just looks like you stay on the wider end of the spectrum without going too wide.

This is just my opinion, but having shot there many times myself, I have found that wide shots of the LA River can become quite boring very quickly. Sure, you need to establish the setting and for folks living outside LA, and around the world for that matter, probably find all the concrete work and bridges interesting.. but I think doing some longer lens work (as you certainly have the glass) would be great. Once the wider stuff is done, it would be hard to get me off that 200 :wub:

This is just my opinion, but having shot there many times myself, I have found that wide shots of the LA River can become quite boring very quickly. Sure, you need to establish the setting and for folks living outside LA, and around the world for that matter, probably find all the concrete work and bridges interesting.. but I think doing some longer lens work (as you certainly have the glass) would be great. Once the wider stuff is done, it would be hard to get me off that 200 :wub:

Since i am living in Istanbul/turkey i may use wide angle for narrow historical streets..:)