Your best photo/frame grab?

Matthew Buick

If you had to net yourself a photo/cinematographical job on the basis of ONE photo, or frame grab which one would it be? In essence, which photo/grab speaks most about you as a photographer/cinematographer?

I can't personally decide at the moment, so I'll let you people kick this off.

Edited by Matthew Buick

http://ryanpatrickohara.com/images/Picture%2028.png

Not because it's my favorite, or it's my best. It's pretty much a standard professional looking MCU. But it was this shot that really made me realize (I was in film school) that I could do this for the rest of my life and well, as long as I continued to learn and try very hard.

Liking both them shots. First has good perspective and framing, the second has some seriously nice lighting and composition.

Well, this has probably been shown to death by now... it's not my favourite but it's my most popular.

http://ashleysmithd.deviantart.com/art/The-Hours-64761214

Not sure I can link it to my own photographic personality is any way.. I'm generally a fan of naturalistic stuff (Roger Deakins work etc.)

Processed stuff like my shot just bores me now. Anyone can get a cheap SLR take and merge several shots and make it look like something super expensive. It's just eye candy.

But this is the shot I'd show someone if I wanted to score a job.

• Premium Member

I don't know that I would be comfortable selling myself with one still image. Our medium is motion picture photography, not still photography. They are related but have some pretty large differences. This is a still I like a lot, though, and demonstrates some of the things I like to incorporate into my work:

Gallery1.jpg

3126323988_e66546df30_b.jpg

This is one of my fave shots of late. It is a jib arm sequence and this shot represents only one moment in time of the actual sequence. But I think it speaks of what I am doing now and I would consider using it as the one motion sequence would sell my skills. Since we are cinematographers, to ask for one single shot to represent each of us is kind of defeating the point though.

Edited by Saul Rodgar

I don't know that I would be comfortable selling myself with one still image. Our medium is motion picture photography, not still photography. They are related but have some pretty large differences. This is a still I like a lot, though, and demonstrates some of the things I like to incorporate into my work:

Gallery1.jpg

Nope, I agree, but this is just a small hypothetical thread.

BTW, Chris and Saul, neither of your photos are showing, there's just a large red cross in their places.

Great photos! Really like them.

Actually, to take this photo I tried to approach as it was a movie shot.

Gelled flashes through windows and a flash built in the torch bouncing off a white card for fill.

The flare was made through post of course ...

I really like to include lamps and lighting in a scence.

There's a making of video on the flickr site btw.

2760056909_58f4ae913b_o.jpg

Edited by Danish Puthan Valiyandi

• Premium Member
I really like this one even though its really simple, sorry the frame is so small:

2824377888_01c58d4aed_o.jpg

I like that one a lot. I did something similar, though it's a bit more stylized. Here's a test still with a stand-in:

SleepLab1.jpg

Edited by Chris Keth