Super8 meets 35mm adapter

Max Zenk

Well they're not referred to as DOF adaptors for nothing. Look at the Vimeo link he posted.

Well I must say the shallow DOF is amazing.. But do you get a shallower DOF using this adapter compared to using a regular c-mount to SLR lens adapter? I'm about to go on a surftrip and got myself a cmount to nikon adapter to use some nikon telephoto lenses on my ZMII so I can get closer to the action, but I'm wondering if I'll be able to get a shallower DOF too? Im gonna use ND filters to be able to shoot as wide open as possible..

So what does your adapter do to decrease the DOF?

Thanks for your feedback so far!

DOF is (besides the focal length and aperture of the lens) basically a matter of the size of the projection plain.

The Super8 film plain is relatively small compared to the 24mm x 36mm (almost) size of the 35mm adapter.

Thus it decreases the DOF, blurring the bg more rapidly.

Please correct me if I m explaining it not correctly....

In this context using a different lens (using a Nikon adapter) won t change anything (DOF-wise) when using the same focal length and aperture on C mount.

For surfing (they will be pretty far away anyway) get a pretty long and fastest (low aperture) tele lens you can afford, do the ND trick and you should be fine.

Thanks for your feedback so far!

DOF is (besides the focal length and aperture of the lens) basically a matter of the size of the projection plain.

The Super8 film plain is relatively small compared to the 24mm x 36mm (almost) size of the 35mm adapter.

Thus it decreases the DOF, blurring the bg more rapidly.

Please correct me if I m explaining it not correctly....

In this context using a different lens (using a Nikon adapter) won t change anything (DOF-wise) when using the same focal length and aperture on C mount.

For surfing (they will be pretty far away anyway) get a pretty long and fastest (low aperture) tele lens you can afford, do the ND trick and you should be fine.

Yeah you're right about the smaller film plane, it makes sense now that I think about it.. The results you got look great!

I'm using a Nikon 70-210mm f/4-5.6 lens (which I already had for still photography) and I think I'll be fine. There's gonna be plenty of sunshine (as is usually the case on the beach) so yeah I'll have to stop down but I'm gonna use ND's as much as possible. The 210mm is almost the maximum I dare to use with a S8 camera, or things start to get really shaky! (Even with a tripod that is).

I'm stunned tho with the results you got from the DOF adapter, I might take a look at that in the future as well. Thanks for posting!

• 1 year later...
Hey there,

I attached my 35mm adapter to my Beaulieu 4008 ZM II for trying something different. What do you guys think?

http://www.vimeo.com/2790407

Thanks a lot,

Max.

are you able to mount the adapter directly to the camera? It would seem to be better if you could. Was the vignetting in camera? Personally I don't see the advantage from the video you posted. I have shot sharper footage with shallower depth of field on a Nizo without any adapter.