Red Light on Eclair ACL

Nick Norton

So, after sending my camera back to Bernie O'Doherty... turns out neither of us really knows what the red light on the Eclair ACL is for.

I assume it is just a running light, which flashes when you run the motor.

Does anyone else know what the red light is for? Does it flash when you run your ACL?

Thanks-

Nicholas

Yeah, the orange sync light is on the ACLII, but there is also a red light which is positioned right next to the green light on the ACLII body. (not sure about the ACLI/1.5)

The green light on the ACLII comes on whenever the power is on, and it seems the red light flashes when the motor runs.

However, me and Bernie though the red light was at first a "Fault Light" or in other words a light that comes on which means you have to spend a ton of money to get the camera fixed.

Anyone else have knowledge on the subject?

(information is, of course, missing from the available ACLII Manual)

-Nicholas

Hey Nick,

I have an ACL II and the red light does in fact flicker every so slightly when the camera is running. It is off when the camera is not running (but still powered up). I'm no tech, but I'd say that it flickers so anyone near the camera knows that it's rolling. Sort of like an

"on air" sign in a radio station.

Tom

I would also call George at Optical-Electro House in Burbank, he may know. Tom may be right though . . . But you want a tech to tell you what the red light is for.

See, on my Aaton LTR (sort of the next generation Eclair) the red light means trouble -either the film is jammed or jumping at the gate. And in other cameras and equipment, flashing red lights are warning signs. It would suck to have the electronics fry or something.

If it wasn't doing it before I would send it in. Just in case . . .

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I've posted this in another thread, but it's probably worth repeating here : don't worry about the red light -- it SHOULD be blinking when the camera is running.

The logic of Eclair engineers may not be evident but the diodes on the side of the ergo handgrip adapter (originally on late models ACLs) works like this : the green diode is on when there is power to the camera (lightmeter on and motor ready) and the the red diode blinks when the camera is running. There is no fault indicator on any ACLs besides the out-of-synch light on the top of the motor.

And while Aaton eventually bought out the remains of Eclair after its bankruptcy, there is no engineering designs shared between cameras of the two companies. If anything, Aaton made sure there were no red lights meant to indicate that all was right with the camera...

B.

I would also call George at Optical-Electro House in Burbank, he may know. Tom may be right though . . . But you want a tech to tell you what the red light is for.

See, on my Aaton LTR (sort of the next generation Eclair) the red light means trouble -either the film is jammed or jumping at the gate. And in other cameras and equipment, flashing red lights are warning signs. It would suck to have the electronics fry or something.

If it wasn't doing it before I would send it in. Just in case . . .