Will Zeiss or Kern aspherons cover S16?

Mark Deeble

Hello

I wonder if anyone has had experience with aspherons - specifically either the Zeiss 'Mutar' for the 9.5mm distagon and 10-100mm Vario Sonnnar or the Kern equivalent for the Zeiss 9.5mm and 12mm distagons. I am interested in whether they cover S16?

I have a Switar 10mm f1.6 preset which covers but again, don't know whether the 5.5mm aspheron for this lens would cover?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Mark

I have a Century Precision Optics - Double Aspheron for Zeiss that covers S16 on a Zeiss Super Speed Distagon 9.5.

Zeiss Aspheron with Super Speed Distagon 9,5 and 12mm will both cover S-16,

while with the Vario-Sonnar 10-100mm there ist some vignetting.

Don't know about the converted 12-120 in 12mm macro setting, probably it should be fine.

It's worth testing.

Goog luck,

Volker

Thanks

Zeiss aspherons seem very hard to find - but there appears to be a Kern aspheron which fits the Distagons but not the Vario-sonnar which I might try.

I will also the test the 5.5 aspheron with the 10mm as by itself, my 10mm covers the 2/3" chip on the s12k which i have been told it is marginally smaller than an S16 frame.

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks

Zeiss aspherons seem very hard to find - but there appears to be a Kern aspheron which fits the Distagons but not the Vario-sonnar which I might try.

I will also the test the 5.5 aspheron with the 10mm as by itself, my 10mm covers the 2/3" chip on the s12k which i have been told it is marginally smaller than an S16 frame.

As far as I know, each aspheron is specifically made for a particular type of lens (except of course the aspheron for Zeiss 9 and 12), optically speaking. On top of that, the thread mount is very different on a Switar 10 and on Zeiss 9 or 12, as well as on the Vario-Switar 100 and the Vario-Sonnar 100.

So despite the fact that they're all made by Kern, I don't think you can adapt one to another type of lens. I'd like to be wrong about this too, though, as I've thought about getting whichever is cheaper and adapting it too, but...

• 4 months later...