2008: some RED propductions in berlin

jan von krogh

the red sensor baed 35mm cameras is replacing most mechanical 35mm cameras her in the gaps HDCAM left.

2008 we rented/realized >50 productions with red. 2008 was one of the busiest years i experienced in the last 20 years.

6 examples:

CLIP: polarkreis 18, #1 top ten germany

CLIP: eisblume. top tem germany-

FULL FEATURE: Krankes Haus, director Wolfgang Becler (Goodbye Lenin), DoP J.J., Tom T. (Lola rennt) producer

FULL FEATURE: TBA upcoming Hans Weingärtner (The Educators/Die fetten Jahre sind vorbei)

COMMERCIAL: Green Party - Bavaria. distribution >400 copies 35mm on 4k

COMMERCIAL: Flankenwechsel. distribution >1000 on-airs.

happy googling.

we meanwhile own & operate 6 red cams and are undecided what additional lenses we want to offer.

i personally love the clasic cooke SII prime and angenieux 25-250T3-9 zoom which were also used in all of the above and am undecided if to buy more master/ultra primes, cooke S4 or photo-lenses, which offer sufficient quality for the red. the first 2 mentioned lenses expose their weaknesses on the red.

after 2008 we are highly satisfied by the red cameras and are critics regarding reds post and service strategy.

Edited by jan von krogh

• Premium Member
the red sensor baed 35mm cameras is replacing most mechanical 35mm cameras her in the gaps HDCAM left.

2008 we rented/realized >50 productions with red. 2008 was one of the busiest years i experienced in the last 20 years.

Fantastic!

So, this explains why you haven't been posting here and on Reduser lately.

Sincerely hoping for your ongoing success in 2009!

• Upvote 1

Fantastic!

So, this explains why you haven't been posting here and on Reduser lately.

The last 6 months were quite busy and i dont like to chat with bored single guys all night, yeah.

wasting time on the internet - and especially the forums - isnt recommendable when you dish out several 100s of printed film copies and DCI masters a month. the "gruene" spot mentioned above btw, alone had >400 4K 35mm arrilaser copies. probably more than several of the crybabies here ever had (and will have ) so far as copies total. however.

besides being pretty busy, i also think that any discussion in this subforum is pointless until 4 people (you and 3 others) buy yourself some digital cheapo moviecams you can afford alone. or a new generation of mods would take over.

or change the ownership of the forum.

i suppose within the next 24/48 monts you and most the others here will shoot digital. and i suppose that "4k/12bit/raw" never wassufficient to tell your story would be *the* common excuse by then. And i would agree.

...i also think that any discussion in this subforum is pointless until 4 people (you and 3 others) buy yourself some digital cheapo moviecams you can afford alone. or a new generation of mods would take over.

It's always good to see open minds.

BTW, congrats on business being so good for you, hope it continues.

• Premium Member

Glad to hear you've had a prosperous year. Perhaps learning to curb the snide attitude can be a resolution for 2009.

There are quite a lot of people here who have a lot of experience working with digital formats. I've now pulled focus on 4 features with digital equipment, 2 of those with the RED, and have just shot a short with one (first experience shooting with the red for me) and enjoyed it for the most part. I'm probably one of the least experience people here, too.

Edited by Chris Keth

• Premium Member

IMHO the RED system isn't about to last long. Even in the "indie-filmmaker slash advertising slash web-broadcast" market.

There already are other systems like the 5DMK2 that show where this industry is heading and from now on it'll be a year time until there will be "shallow DOF slash more color depth slash 24/25/30p cameras" widely spread in the semi-pro market.

A 35mm film (in this case a FF Mystronsyrium sensor) has always added "film look" production value (how i hate that word). The omni-present bokeh effect of these new FF sensor cams is widely available on U-TUBE already so this significance will drop.

• Premium Member
The last 6 months were quite busy and i dont like to chat with bored single guys all night, yeah.

wasting time on the internet - and especially the forums - isnt recommendable when you dish out several 100s of printed film copies and DCI masters a month. the "gruene" spot mentioned above btw, alone had >400 4K 35mm arrilaser copies. probably more than several of the crybabies here ever had (and will have ) so far as copies total. however.

besides being pretty busy, i also think that any discussion in this subforum is pointless until 4 people (you and 3 others) buy yourself some digital cheapo moviecams you can afford alone. or a new generation of mods would take over.

i suppose within the next 24/48 monts you and most the others here will shoot digital. and i suppose that "4k/12bit/raw" never wassufficient to tell your story would be *the* common excuse by then. And i would agree.

OK, but hey don't push it too hard, the RED community needs you.

Looks like your bypass is still holding up OK but you must be careful not to overdo things.

Watch out for any ususual symptoms, such as unexpected drop in urine output, that can't be explained by high ambient temperatures or a change in fluid intake.

Particularly after posting on Internet Forums like this one.

As for shooting digitally, I predict in 3-4 years you'll be able to buy Tevion-branded 4K S-35 moviecams at Aldi's. :lol:

• Upvote 1

IMHO the RED system isn't about to last long. Even in the "indie-filmmaker slash advertising slash web-broadcast" market.

There already are other systems like the 5DMK2 that show where this industry is heading and from now on it'll be a year time until there will be "shallow DOF slash more color depth slash 24/25/30p cameras" widely spread in the semi-pro market.

A 35mm film (in this case a FF Mystronsyrium sensor) has always added "film look" production value (how i hate that word). The omni-present bokeh effect of these new FF sensor cams is widely available on U-TUBE already so this significance will drop.

These cameras have still a way to go, the skew is an issue that really does need to be addressed if they're serious about using them as cameras for moving images.

The DSLR ergomonics aren't good for shooting for TV or cinema. That's not to say that Canon, Nikon or Olympus won't make a suitable camera, just that the DSLR form is best left for the stills camera. They'll also need to address their recording format, because a lot of information gets lost in the compression.

Although, I suspect once they leave the DSLR form factor, the photographic market won't support a less suitable form factor for taking stills. It's the larger manufacturing volumes for the mass market that keeps the prices lower on the DSLR cameras.

On the other hand, it doesn't really make much sense to buy a FF35 Scarlet just to shoot stills with (or to be both the production camera & the stills camera on a film).

OK, but hey don't push it too hard, the RED community needs you.

i dont think that the marketleader needs backup from us anymore.

Looks like your bypass is still holding up OK but you must be careful not to overdo things.

Watch out for any ususual symptoms, such as unexpected drop in urine output, that can't be explained by high ambient temperatures or a change in fluid intake.

Particularly after posting on Internet Forums like this one.

Keith, if your skills as dop and as doctor are equal, that would explain quite a bit.

As for shooting digitally, I predict in 3-4 years you'll be able to buy Tevion-branded 4K S-35 moviecams at Aldi's. :lol:

Keith, i dont want to be to harsh on you, but in 3-4 years most cameras will be better than anythinh you ever used so far. Lets be rather pessimistic and say 6.

• Premium Member
i dont think that the marketleader needs backup from us anymore.

Keith, if your skills as dop and as doctor are equal, that would explain quite a bit.

Keith, i dont want to be to harsh on you, but in 3-4 years most cameras will be better than anything you ever used so far. Lets be rather pessimistic and say 6.

I'm terribly sorry, Jan.

You're absolutely right, I'm not a doctor, I'm only an art director (Look me up in IMDB. Phil Rhodes is actually a makeup artist and an actor).

Oddy, you aren't listed...

Anyway I didn't actually write any of those posts, that was a couple of my employees using my account.*

I promise I'll try to keep them under control in future.

* "WTF?" please click here and here on Reduser.

(Or better, go to the beginning of the thread, it's well worth it :lol: )