Television Light Reflecition on actor's face

So I have a shoot coming up where an actress is sitting in front a sonogram screen. I was thinking of lighting her face with a keno diva since it is dimmable and i can make subtle changes in the level. Any advice on lighting this gag... gels, etc...

Edited by justinmaynard

well there are a couple of techniques that i use. i cannot say which works best for you. i guess you have to try them because it depends on the level you're looking for, effect and mood.

1-using a kinoflo, placing different banks (tungsten and daylight and gelling some) and switching from bank to bank randomly and sometimes switching from 2feet to 4feet. this effect will change the color temp of the light and intensity.

2- using a kinoflo, just close and open the barn door randomly. this will not affect the color temp (unless u place different bulbs on the other side so they would be the only light left when u close the barn door), but will affect exposure.

3- using a video projector connected to a dvd player or tv:

3a- defocus the projector and aim it at your talent (defocus so you don't have the images projected on your actor)

3b- bounce the projector onto a foam board or shine it through a diffusion.

well, i bet there are plenty of techniques out there, i guess you have to try and find your own preference.

Good Shooting!

Elie Kamal

Using Adrian's method, add a couple more lights (buddied up together ) with different colored Gels and kick them on now and them.. changing color temps is very prevalent in TV ambiance. Watch a TV Flicker in someone's window.. preferably your own so you are not arrested. I use a combination of soft boxes with various Gels all on 'hand squeeze' dimmers.

• Premium Member
You'd think there wouldn't be much variation in the glow from a medical sonogram screen since it is not showing "edited" footage from a movie, with dramatic light changes.

Guess you never had a baby. :) The screen (older version) shows contrasts of white to black as it scans. The harder they press the more white appears on screen as the reflection of sound creates more image. There is considerable change in the luminance of the screen as a result. The newer 4D models are color but really like sepia tone for the most part with shadows to differentiate depth and seem to glow the same regardless.

Here's an old style sonogram although contrast is not represented as well as in reall life.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1249203/baby...ogram_04_12_08/

Here is 4D

http://www.layyous.com/Videoclips/4d2.htm

I'd go with the kino as it will give you the options and feel you need for such a scene.

• 2 weeks later...
You'd think there wouldn't be much variation in the glow from a medical sonogram screen since it is not showing "edited" footage from a movie, with dramatic light changes.

That'll teach me to not respond to a thread title before reading the actual post.. I saw television.. not medical monitor... :huh:

Adrian is right on... thanks David. As J. Lamar said.. 750 zips are great sources to begin with.

• 2 weeks later...

If you have time do a quick test to see what works for you.

When I lit this situation I had no time or budget, The solution for me which worked very convincingly

was to set up a 2 foot by 4 foot kino flo with both the gaffer and myself waving different blue, green

red yellow and ND gels in front of the light at random intervals. We occasionally waved 2 together

to muddle the temperature and the intensity. Quick and Effective, I would not hesitate on doing it again

if presented with this situation again.