Sony EX-1

Rainer Windolph

I director friend asked me to recommend him a video camera (we are both still students). From what I've heard and seen, my options are the Sony Ex-1 or the Panasonic HVX200 (haven't got the chance to use neither one of both). After researching, mostly on the internet and asking people who have worked with one or the other camera, I came to the conclusion to recommend him to buy the EX-1.

Now I've learned about the rolling shutter issues and I have seen some pretty nasty examples on the internet concerning flashing lights and camera movements.

My questions are directed to people that work a lot with the EX-1 or even better, that know both cams:

- Would you still recommend this camera instead of the HVX, in spite of this issue?

- How much does this rolling shutter issue has affected you in your practical use?

- Or would you even recommend the HVX, had the Sony no rolling shutter issue?

Your opinions would me help a lot!

Thanks in advance.

• Premium Member

Having used both cameras in the last month, I would go for the EX1 and avoid the HVX200. The EX1 is in another league.

I director friend asked me to recommend him a video camera (we are both still students). From what I've heard and seen, my options are the Sony Ex-1 or the Panasonic HVX200 (haven't got the chance to use neither one of both). After researching, mostly on the internet and asking people who have worked with one or the other camera, I came to the conclusion to recommend him to buy the EX-1.

Now I've learned about the rolling shutter issues and I have seen some pretty nasty examples on the internet concerning flashing lights and camera movements.

My questions are directed to people that work a lot with the EX-1 or even better, that know both cams:

- Would you still recommend this camera instead of the HVX, in spite of this issue?

- How much does this rolling shutter issue has affected you in your practical use?

- Or would you even recommend the HVX, had the Sony no rolling shutter issue?

Your opinions would me help a lot!

Thanks in advance.

• Premium Member

I highly recommend the EX1 over the HVX for many reasons most notable more record time per GB, a newer codec, full sized imagers, nice lens controls, SDI.

Be aware of what a rolling shutter entails, though. Those artifacts can be avoided (except for strobe problems).

All cameras have their issues. Don't forget, in film we make worlds of make-believe, so we have more control than we would documentary shooting (i'd recommend neither really for doco shooting...) and as such so long as we're aware of what our cameras struggle with, we can usually avoid it.

I agree with everyone else, the EX1 is in another league - in many ways its a wonderful little camera, producing images like a much more expensive camera than it is.

At first I didn't like its 'Sony' design - but once you get used to its pretty cool

The rolling shutter will cause issues if plan to do swish pans, filming from very fast moving vehicles, filming from helicopters, doing a DIY film-chain...

...but its surprising how little you find your self doing those things!

• Premium Member

The EX-1 is certainly an excellent camera in its price range at this time. I know people who use them for run and gun stuff to intercut with Red A-camera material for cable network shows.

That being said, there is no such thing as a "safe" camera to buy. Newer better stuff hits the market about as frequently as raindrops hit Seattle. Rental houses are in the business of taking that risk and eating the depreciation. So, think carefully about when, how often and for what kind of shooting you'd want it. Then pencil out the rent vs. buy economics.

-- J.S.