What Bolex models are suitable for collecting?

Mark Rowntree

• Premium Member
I'm interested in using it for occasional personal experimental production.

Are there models known for reliable operation, and collector value too?

Hi Mark,

you'd best get the Bolex Bible by Andrew Alden. It will cover this and many other questions you might have. Buy it here: http://www.bolex.co.uk/. Andrew also sells and buys Bolexes and is a really excellent person to deal with. As far as reliability goes, all models, if well kept, do have a very good record. Collector value is a different matter. But read the Bolex Bible, it will give a you a good start!

Cheers, Dave

• 4 weeks later...

Greetings Gents,

Another thing we could say as a MAJOR PLUS for the Bolex cameras is the fact that over the years, and throughout the various changes and improvements, Bolex has obviously worked diligently to maintain a certain degree of standardisation or uniformity in the accessories that go with their cameras.

For example, (Excepting only the Bolex Pro which takes a coaxial mag) the 400ft. (displacement) Magazine that works on your older H-16 non-reflex? Will work all the way down the line of Rex series (that do take 400ft mags, like the Rex5) the SBM, the EBM, and the EL. I have found that the matte-box mounts standard too. You just got to give some kudos to the folks at Bolex for doing this.

Now I have some Arri cameras too (16s/b and 16BL) and don't get me wrong, I LOVE my arri cameras. However the mags for the 16s series (with their own torque motor) won't work on the 16BL (which has geared mags that meet with in camera gear drive. I don't have an Arri M camera (but I DO want one!) but I have heard that the M mags are not compatible with S or BL. So it seems everytime Arriflex changed a design, they changed EVERYTHING. So to thier credit we can say that the people at Bolex had their customers wallets always in mind.

I hope I didn't offend any Arri people here cause I DO love these cameras too!

regards,

JMK

• Premium Member
For example, (Excepting only the Bolex Pro which takes a coaxial mag) the 400ft. (displacement) Magazine that works on your older H-16 non-reflex? Will work all the way down the line of Rex series (that do take 400ft mags, like the Rex5) the SBM, the EBM, and the EL. I have found that the matte-box mounts standard too. You just got to give some kudos to the folks at Bolex for doing this.

Hi John,

just to clear some things up here. The only non reflex Bolex H16s that do take the 400ft magazines without modification are the M5 (very rare!). On the 'flex side the mag can only be used on the REX-5, SBM, EBM and EL cameras. Again, the others may be modified to accept mags. The M stands for MAGAZINE in some these type names. E.g. the SBM and SB both feature a spring motor and a bayonet mount, but the SB won't take magazines. Sadly this is only true for the early bayonet cameras not the normal turret reflex and the later electronic Bolexes. Also the normal matte box will only fit flat base cameras.

Cheers, Dave

Hello David,

Yes, that is absolutely right. Some models of Bolex of course were not manufactured to accept the 400ft magazine. However, again here the conversion did not appear too diffucult either. I purchased an old H-16 that had been modified to accept the 400ft magazine and it did not look like it was too difficult a job. But yes, you are right some factory Bolexes were not made to accept this accessory.

However, did NOT know about the flatbase. I was thinking that all the Bolex models had this (or the ones I have seen anyway) Of course I am not sure about the Bolex Pro (which was really different from the whole H-16 series) was this camera different enough that it would not take the matte-box mounting? Or any other models I am not aware of? Anyway I'm gald I'm here and eager to learn more about one of my favourite brands of cameras!

Thanks in advance and God Bless!

John Mark King