Ikonoskop sensor size

Kristian Schumacher

Hi!

I have done some reading today about this camera and I am quite interested. However I was wondering what the deal with the s16-sized chip is. Here is from their website:

Sensor CCD: 10,6 mm x 6 mm (Super-16)

Since when was that the size of a s16mm frame? Or am I missing something here?

Kristian

Thanks to both of you!

Those are my thoughts exactly. I have just converted two of my own cameras to s16 DIY-style, and those numbers just didn´t make sense. I will be considering a scarlet/ikonoskop kind of camera later this year for digital capture. The Ikonoskop seems really good for what I want - mainly underwater shooting - but when the official website gives misleading information like this I get a bit weary.....Hmmm.. Those Scandinavians - can´t trust ´em ;)

Kristian

Regular 16mm neg is 10.26 x 7.49mm. So the A-cam sensor is basically the width of 16mm, but because it's 16x9, not 4x3, it's less tall.

Thanks for clearing that up David. I have been wondering the same thing and I have decided that sticking with super 16 glass is the best bet as its safe to say the a-cam dii is a digital super 16, or close to it. ;)

• Premium Member

> Sensor CCD: 10,6 mm x 6 mm (Super-16)

> Regular 16mm neg is 10.26 x 7.49mm.

Doing the math (Pythagoras), the diagonal of Ikonoskop is 12.18 mm, and the diagonal of R-16 is 12.70 mm. Since lenses make a circular image, out of which we carve the rectangle of our choice, regular 16 glass would work fine.

-- J.S.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

So it is a HDV cam (i mean the sensor size) that records single frame raw files for 7000 Euros?

Hmm, at least you get a reflex viewing via HDMI unlike their A-CAM.

Still, i admire every company that is in this market. These will all be fantastic tools and i think this one will fit in the sports and documentary market where a wide DOF range is handy.