1st Ac'ing on a ARRI 435

I got my first 1st AC job on a 35mm short. As there is not budget enough for a 2nd AC, I'm also gonna be doing that job.....

Any notable things I need to know about that camera, mags etc? It's mostly gonna be tripod shots, but a few dolly shots are also planned

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Allan

• Premium Member
I got my first 1st AC job on a 35mm short. As there is not budget enough for a 2nd AC, I'm also gonna be doing that job.....

Any notable things I need to know about that camera, mags etc? It's mostly gonna be tripod shots, but a few dolly shots are also planned

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Allan

Hi,

Go to the rental house the camera is comming from & get them to show you what you need to know.

Stephen

You can also get the manual and the 'quick guide' online.

Pretty easy to get your head around and reliable. LCD controls a bit similar to the sr3.

Take care when lacing mag onto camera incase you nick a perf. Make sure you have the correct loop size on mag. Older 435's sometimes will jam with 1000' mags at high speed. camera is very noisy at any speed. As it's a 435 they will probably want high speed stuff so check that you have correct shutter angle and maybe make a quick ready-reckoner for your pouch. If thre is time, get the jon fauer book.

As Stephen said, go to the rental house. They will be more than happy to let you look it over and it will put your mind at ease.

Avoid rolling out the mag, especially at high speed. You can end up with tons of tiny film chips in the mag, which can find their way underneath the film platens, in the throat, etc...essentially putting the mag out of service until you have the time to clean it out thoroughly, dissassemble the throat, etc. Since you don't have a 2nd or a loader, you really can't afford to spend time doing that...

What is the title of the book?

arriflex 435 book.

http://www.filmtools.com/ar435bookbyj.html

one thing to remember is that when you change the shutter angle via the rcu when ramping, when you unplug the rcu the shutter will stay at the last angle you had set. so be sure to double check that before shooting again.

Here's a tip, since you're not having a 2nd or loader. Try and get as many mags as possible so you can preload a few in the morning. I don't know how much film your DP plans to burn, but I assume he's taking into account that you'll need time to download and load as the day progresses. But getting to set an hour earlier to have 4 to 6 hot mags on standby will save you a few pounds of sweat.

• Premium Member
Here's a tip, since you're not having a 2nd or loader. Try and get as many mags as possible so you can preload a few in the morning. I don't know how much film your DP plans to burn, but I assume he's taking into account that you'll need time to download and load as the day progresses. But getting to set an hour earlier to have 4 to 6 hot mags on standby will save you a few pounds of sweat.

I hope you eat fast, too. ;)