Beaulieu 4008 Rail System Options

Kane Arcadia

Just wondering if any of you guys have mounted your little Beaulieu onto a rail system for lens support, matte box reasons...

If you have, please share how you did your setup or where you brought it, because I'm not entirely sure which will work because of the 4008's angled hand grip.

Thanks, Kane.

Guest Glenn Brady

American Cinematographic Systems makes a custom leveling plate and rod support system for Beaulieu 4008 series cameras. The system is beautifully machined in Aluminum, finished in powder coat black, and supplied with carbon fiber rods. The rods are 15mm diameter and spaced 60mm apart, so industry-standard matte boxes are accommodated. I own such a system and am very satisfied with it.

ACS can be contacted at arfilm76 [at] yahoo [dot] com.

Could you drop a picture of the system ?

Problem with "conventional" rods systems is to find the leveling plate to compensate Beaulieu's handgrip angle...this piece of steal is really hard to find. Having a complete system as you describe could be really great ! :)

American Cinematographic Systems makes a custom leveling plate and rod support system for Beaulieu 4008 series cameras. The system is beautifully machined in Aluminum, finished in powder coat black, and supplied with carbon fiber rods. The rods are 15mm diameter and spaced 60mm apart, so industry-standard matte boxes are accommodated. I own such a system and am very satisfied with it.

Hi Glenn,

Thanks so much for the info, i know a few people that will be happy to know theres such a product out there!

Have you got a pic of your set up? I cant seem to find a website for these guys. And how are the prices for the custom levelling plate?

Guest Glenn Brady

I have pictures of this system, but I'm from a generation before computers were in widespread use and have never been able to figure out how to post a picture to this forum. I'd be happy to send pictures to those who PM their e-mail addresses.

The current price of the leveling plate, which appears at eBay regularly, is $56.00. The entire system - leveling plate, rod support, and rods - may be priced at $220.00, but you'll need to verify that with ACS.

Glenn sent me some pics...here they are :

m3acsrodsupportcopyow1.jpg

m3tobinmotorcopygb9.jpg

"I've attached two low resolution images of the ACS rod support system fitted to my Beaulieu 4008 M3. Also shown is a special one-off fixture used to adapt a Tobin synchronous motor to the camera. The matte box is a Chrosziel 3x3. The machining of the leveling plate and rod support is of very high quality, and fine adjustments are provided to assure a perfect fit between camera and matte box." from Glenn.

Edited by JB Guillot

• 1 month later...
Just wondering if any of you guys have mounted your little Beaulieu onto a rail system for lens support, matte box reasons...

If you have, please share how you did your setup or where you brought it, because I'm not entirely sure which will work because of the 4008's angled hand grip.

Thanks, Kane.

check this out

http://cgi.ebay.com/Beaulieu-4008-2008-Cus...%3A1%7C294%3A50

Hi all,

I have bought the black powder coated ACS camera plate for my Beaulieu 4008 ZM II, that still has the handle, and I can vouch for the extremely high quality of this product. With the plate screwed into the handle, the camera rests EXACTLY LEVEL on a table (without falling over) or levelled out on the tripod´s fluid head. The finish and fit is incredibly smooth. I am so glad I got one - it is worth every dollar is cost me.

I am thinking about various solutions for extension rods, compendium matte boxes, and filter holders myself, but I dont have the skill nor the machines needed for the job.

Best,

Bengt F ;)

Hi all,

I have bought the black powder coated ACS camera plate for my Beaulieu 4008 ZM II, that still has the handle, and I can vouch for the extremely high quality of this product. With the plate screwed into the handle, the camera rests EXACTLY LEVEL on a table (without falling over) or levelled out on the tripod´s fluid head. The finish and fit is incredibly smooth. I am so glad I got one - it is worth every dollar is cost me.

I am thinking about various solutions for extension rods, compendium matte boxes, and filter holders myself, but I dont have the skill nor the machines needed for the job.

Best,

Bengt F ;)

It would indeed be hard to build a compendium yourself. :)

But the rods are simple aluminium tubes which can be had at a few Euro.

And cutting these to length isn't rocket science :)

It would indeed be hard to build a compendium yourself. :)

But the rods are simple aluminium tubes which can be had at a few Euro.

And cutting these to length isn't rocket science :)

I'd like to explain a few things about the rod support. I don't frequent this website often, but occasionaly I notice conversations of individuals looking for a reliable means for using a mattebox with their 4008 and anytime my rod support is mentioned along with the cost, there are individuals that feel the price is to steep for something so "simple".

I built the rod support for those individuals that wanted a professional looking and functional

way of having more artistic control over their image. It was geared towards those that wish to utilize

Super 8 in ways other than that of an amateur. Yes, something could be built for cheaper, but your use of that system would dictate the quality and material involved. You could build it out of wood or other cheaper material, or it can be built out of something that's going to last and provide you with confidence when using.

If you prefer the latter, then the only other option is to have your handle removed and buy a commerical rod support. If you compare the total costs, I think I win.

I'd like to explain a few things about the rod support. I don't frequent this website often, but occasionaly I notice conversations of individuals looking for a reliable means for using a mattebox with their 4008 and anytime my rod support is mentioned along with the cost, there are individuals that feel the price is to steep for something so "simple".

I built the rod support for those individuals that wanted a professional looking and functional

way of having more artistic control over their image. It was geared towards those that wish to utilize

Super 8 in ways other than that of an amateur. Yes, something could be built for cheaper, but your use of that system would dictate the quality and material involved. You could build it out of wood or other cheaper material, or it can be built out of something that's going to last and provide you with confidence when using.

If you prefer the latter, then the only other option is to have your handle removed and buy a commerical rod support. If you compare the total costs, I think I win.

Seth is right, the solution is cheaper. I found it out to late and had already made a choice of removing the handle and I searched quite a while for a suitable support system, it ended with an Cavision rodsolution. Here is some pics:

19647560.jpg

23734213.jpg

44807292.jpg

13916609.jpg

Feel free to ask anything.

Best,

David

Edited by David Odell

Seth is right, the solution is cheaper. I found it out to late and had already made a choice of removing the handle and I searched quite a while for a suitable support system, it ended with an Cavision rodsolution. Here is some pics:

19647560.jpg

23734213.jpg

44807292.jpg

13916609.jpg

Feel free to ask anything.

Best,

David

Got out the handle, where you to put the on off button?

Regards

Jorge

Got out the handle, where you to put the on off button?

Regards

Jorge

The powerswitch is removed, and the camera now powers when a battery is connected. So one have to remove the battery to power it of, or the battery will charge out.

Edited by David Odell

• 1 year later...
Guest Glenn Brady
There are plenty suppliers for complete matte-box sets at very reasonable prices.

Which of these suppliers makes a set expressly for Beaulieu 4008 series cameras? Have you got such a set fitted to a Beaulieu 4008 series camera? Adapting an off-the-shelf system for use with a Beaulieu 4008 series camera is neither easy nor inexpensive. I know beause I've tried it.

• 1 month later...