Economic lens solutions?

Andy_Alderslade

There seems to be a lot of Red bodies floating about London presently at extremely affordable rates.

I have a very low budget shoot coming up and before now Red would have been out our budget, now things have changed a little there seems to be one big problem - the lenses!

Has anyone got suggestions for affordable lens possibilities considering 35mm lenses are currently at a premium and deals tend to be out of the question.

Has anyone tried Nikon primes using a Nikon to PL adapter? I know pulling focus on such a small scale will be challenging but anyone tried it?

Does anyone know what availability is like for the adapter?

Cheers,

Andy

Edited by Andy_Alderslade

• Premium Member
Red maked Nikon and Canon mounts for the RED. There is no such thing as a Nikon-PL lens adapter because of the differences between their Flange Focal Distances.

Hi,

There is a Nikon to PL adapter but for macro only! A Nikon to PL with 1.4 converter will work at infinity.

Stephen

• Premium Member
There's a huge market for what I call "sub-prime" lenses. ;-)

Hehe, thanks for the laugh John! As I said before, I'll be there when all those real prime lenses come back on the market and snatch them up for what they are really worth!

Cheers, Dave

There seems to be a lot of Red bodies floating about London presently at extremely affordable rates.

I have a very low budget shoot coming up and before now Red would have been out our budget, now things have changed a little there seems to be one big problem - the lenses!

The good idea to use of Russian professional cine lenses LOMO with OST-19 lens mount.

But, problem, RED do not propose of OST-19 lens mount.

A some guys ready to build and sell of OST-19 lens mounts for RED cameras, but, He need of any PL or Nikon original mounts of RED for measuring.

• Premium Member
The good idea to use of Russian professional cine lenses LOMO with OST-19 lens mount.

But, problem, RED do not propose of OST-19 lens mount.

Hi Olex,

I think there are several OST-19 lens mounts for the RED. I personally bought one from Long Valley Equipment. It requires removal of the RED mount which is replaced with the Long Valley mount. The OST-19 mount is well made and works like a champ.

The anamorphic Lomos mount nicely.

Bruce Taylor

www.Indi35.com

Supposedly Optar Illumina is supposed to release some super speed lenses soon that cover Super 35, but I haven't see or heard from them so who knows where this stands. There website details them as being 18mm through 85mm at T1.2 for around $35K. Not entirely economical but better than most.