Prosumer 3CCCD or CMOS under Disco Lighting.

Andy_Alderslade

Hi,

I'm shooting a promo in a few weeks, mostly set in bars and a club - presumably they'll have club/disco lights, and obviously I want them present and working to help set the scene.

The camera will either be an HVX200 or EX1 with a Letus Extreme and Nikon primes. Normally I would go hands down to the EX1, as i feel it delivers a much better picture, however considering the disco lights may cause a problem for the rolling shutter of the CMOS chip in the EX1 i'm wondering if the HVX maybe a safer bet.

Has anybody got any ideas how disco lights and club style lights will affect a CMOS camera, especially with a 35-adapter attached?

Presumably club-style strobe lighting will be a problem, but if we avoid that will other type lights have any problems?

Is this a situation where the 3CCD of the HVX is a simply a safer way to go?

Cheers,

Andy

• Premium Member

I'd say so long as they aren't strobe lights you shouldn't have a problem. The other types of lights I recall from my clubbing days, may move around a lot, but they don't, really flash. I'd certainly go for an EX1 with a letus as it's a "faster" camera than the panasonic, for the most part.

I'd try to get in a test with either camera, though. I know that's not always possible, but see if you can just go there with an EX and some lights running.

I'd try to get in a test with either camera, though. I know that's not always possible, but see if you can just go there with an EX and some lights running.

Thanks Adrian, thats a good suggestion - i have a friend with a few varied disco lights I may try them out in a darkened room with the camera - see how it reacts with different types of disco lights.

Cheers,

Andy