Can anyone tell me how this is done?

• Premium Member

It looks to me like some of the soft focus shots may have been done with vaseline or KY Jelly smeared on a clear filter in the matte box. You can get very distinct edges between soft and sharp using this technique, depending on how thick you smear the jelly and where. It doesn't take much at all to make the image completely soft.

Wow, that was incredibly gorgeous from beginning to end. I also thought of vaseline for the half-blurred effect - Dylan Macleod at the reduser forums suggested it might be waterglass (a sheet of rippled glass) used in front of a long lens.

I'd love to get all the details though - camera, lenses, etc. Really a gorgeous little film - except for the cut-cut-cut-cut-cut that doesn't separate it much from every other spot for every other product in the world - and when "Luis Vuitton" appears onscreen at the end, it seems doubly ridiculous and absurd after all of the visual poetry that preceded it. It might be an example of making your spot TOO good!

Most likely it was done using some sort of tilt lens like a Lensbaby, made by LENSBABY, INC.

[url="http://lensbaby.com/index.php"]http://lensbaby.com/index.php[/url]

Vaseline is an old school trick.

Other films you could see something of the sort (not sure if they use a lensbaby) includes Deakin's [i]Assasination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford[/i], and Kaminski's [i]The Diving Belle and the Butterfly[/i]

Of course, Deakin's could have used vaseline as well. However the effects look pretty heavily controlled. Yet, he is a god so not that he couldn't have done what he did with vaseline, I'm just assuming he used a special lens. :D

Anyone with anymore info?

-Mitch Monthie
Aspiring DP

This site says it was shot by Philippe Le Sourd, not Doyle.

I remember reading an interview somewhere with Bruno Aveillan and I thought he said it was shot by Doyle. Maybe a collaboration?

-The vaseline is an old trick but still effective, for diffusion, but could it really blur that much?

-would a lensbaby be that sharp in the areas that aren't blurred?

• Premium Member

I don't think it's a tilt-shift or a lensbaby. Those just move the focal plane around. There is still a gradual transition to being out of focus in 3D space. This is a pretty sharp line from sharp to blurry. My bet is on KY on a flat. Vaseline looks more streaky. With KY, if you're careful, you can get it on there without any particular direction to the application to create linear smears. Use very little.

I don't think it's a tilt-shift or a lensbaby. Those just move the focal plane around. There is still a gradual transition to being out of focus in 3D space. This is a pretty sharp line from sharp to blurry. My bet is on KY on a flat. Vaseline looks more streaky. With KY, if you're careful, you can get it on there without any particular direction to the application to create linear smears. Use very little.

Thank you Chris! KY seems to have that magic "touch".

• 11 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...