Blue ad links

Tim Carroll

• Premium Member

I realize that things change, and some of us old folks get set in our ways. I know Cinematography.com is owned by Tim Tyler whom I truly respect and the site is his to do with as he pleases.

I was not thrilled with the changes to the site, kind of liked it the old way. It now takes me longer to do what I do on the site daily, which is look for new posts and see if there is something that I can add to a conversation or if there is someone I can help with a 16mm or ARRI question. The icons at the head of the posts, which used to be folders, are now some kind of little piece of paper that looks pretty much the same whether the post has new content or not. And I wasn't really happy when they took the three forums I visit the most (16mm, 35mm, and HD) and lumped them all under Cameras and Formats. But I can live with all of those changes.

What I discovered this morning though is a deal breaker. If this doesn't change, I'm outta here. There are now blue highlighted, double underlined, hyper linked words throughout the posts on the forums. At first I thought this was something someone did to link to something they were talking about in the post, like we always used to do. But when I tried to click on the hyper linked text I discovered they are ADVERTISEMENTS for things that are completely unrelated to Cinematography. And they are littered throughout all of the posts. I find this truly offensive.

Best,

-Tim

• Premium Member
There are now blue highlighted, double underlined, hyper linked words throughout the posts on the forums.

I don't see the links you're seeing - you mean literally, interspersed with the text of the messages? Not from where I'm sitting (see attached screenshot). Is this not what it looks like to you?

P

Hmmn...

I understand the anger at these sort of things...I also get angry when I am hounded by commercials and advertisements and people trying force ideas upon me.

However, unless your a prepubescent...or slightly post pubescent boy with rich parents and you have nothing better to do but slam some HTML together. You should realize that it takes a lot of time to make this all happen...and monitor it.

I have been browsing this website for 5 or 6 years. How much money have I spent? About Zero. I say "about" because one time I spilt coffee on my keyboard...so in reality it's been about $25 bucks in all...

I understand wanting it to be pure and holy and only have delicious SD, HD, 8mm, 16mm, 35mm goodness without the terrible influences of "Shamwow" and "the wonderful cucumber peeler".

But unfortunately, people have to pay bills. Some people have these things called children, or dogs, or big houses, or drug problems...and they have make money to go forward.

Somebody came up them and said..."you've been doing the same crap for around 10 years...would you like some more money?"

And guess what?

They said yes...

Who'd a thought...

If you can't believe this...if this ruins your belief in the internet...

Then go join the priesthood...or the peace core. This isn't a non-profit organization

The deal breaker should have been the stupid **(obscenity removed)**ing smiley faces they allow on each post...but that's just me...

My apologies for...actually... or as you said in your heading...F@#$ off...

Sincerely,

Slizzam McMickam (Please don't tell me to go back and put my real name in)

P.S No disrespect...people rant...some people do it for the better of mankind some to the detriment...we do it for unimportant bullshit...

Hmmn...

I understand the anger at these sort of things...I also get angry when I am hounded by commercials and advertisements and people trying to force ideas upon me.

However, unless your a prepubescent...or slightly post pubescent boy with rich parents and you have nothing better to do but slam some HTML together. You should realize that it takes a lot of time to make this all happen...and monitor it.

I have been browsing this website for 5 or 6 years. How much money have I spent? About Zero. I say "about" because one time I spilt coffee on my keyboard...so in reality it's been about $25 bucks in all...

I understand wanting it to be pure and holy and only have delicious SD, HD, 8mm, 16mm, 35mm goodness without the terrible influences of "Shamwow" and "the wonderful cucumber peeler".

But unfortunately, people have to pay bills. Some people have these things called children, or dogs, or big houses, or drug problems...and they have to make money to go forward.

Somebody came up to them and said..."you've been doing the same crap for around 10 years...would you like some more money?"

And guess what?

They said yes...Who'd a thought...

If you can't believe this...if this ruins your belief in the internet...

Then go join the priesthood...or the peace core. This isn't a non-profit organization

The deal breaker should have been the stupid **(obscenity removed)**ing smiley faces that they allow on each post...but that's just me...

My apologies for...actually... or as you said in your heading...F@#$ off...

Sincerely,

Slizzam McMickam (Please don't tell me to go back and put my real name in)

P.S No disrespect...people rant...some people do it for the better of mankind some to the detriment...we do it for unimportant bullshit...

• Premium Member

Here is what I'm getting Phil:

(image removed due to humongous size)

The word Chicago in my signature and the word icons in the text. On some posts there are half a dozen words like that in each paragraph.

They show up on Safari and on Firefox. Those are the only two internet browsers I have on this computer.

Best,

-Tim

• Premium Member

And here is what happens when your cursor goes over the blue underlined words (as it did when I passed over the word computer), these kind of ads pop up.

(humongous image removed)

Really annoying and again, has nothing to do with cinematography.

Best,

-Tim

• Premium Member

One last one, then I'm done. This is from the 35mm forum. When I read this post, I am hoping to learn something from esteemed cinematographer David Mullen, not find a place to buy contact lenses.

(removed image due to humongous size)

Best,

-Tim

One last one, then I'm done. This is from the 35mm forum. When I read this post, I am hoping to learn something from esteemed cinematographer David Mullen, not find a place to buy contact lenses.

Best,

-Tim

Tim,

You can disable that yourself. When the ad pops up, click on the question mark, scroll down the page and click the disable option. It worked here (I'm using Safari 3.2.1)

You know I have to agree with you Tim that this is a bit extreme. It's one thing, to have advertisements on the side or top, but it's quite another to have pop ups

when someone is inadvertently navigating around a screen. I understand that there are costs involved with a site of this nature. However rather than reading an ad, I'm forced to interact with

it without my consent.

I know it can be disabled, but I guess I feel like it's a bit aggressive on the marketing side of things to have resort to that.

I'm not saying I'm gong to leave, but I hope that removing these will be considered.

Tom

When you're posting, you can make the hyperlink go away by doing a quick edit of your post, then re-posting it. At least that's what just happened when I edited a post to tell readers that the hyperlink in my post was not my doing. When I re-posted it, the link was gone.

• Premium Member

Sorry to go all "Christian Bale" over this, just a really bad night followed by a really bad morning, and when I went for a little solace at my favorite Cinematography forum, I was bombarder by pop up ads for everything under the sun.

Thanks for shutting them off Tim, and thanks for changing the "new reply icons" so they're easier to read now.

Best,

-Tim