Directing. Where do I begin?

Sawyer

Hi, my name is Daniel and I have a hobby of making movies. I love to make movies, and anytime I can get together for a weekend with friends I usually suggest we make a short film for fun. Sometimes it turns out decent, and others just silly. I started making movies/short films around eleven when I got my first camera. Now I'm 15, and I still to this day love to make them. I just want to know what I need to do to become a Director.

Thanks!

-Daniel Sawyer

Daniel, check the Director's Corner forum at the top of the Non Cinematography section:

http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?showforum=57

There's a lot of good information down there and this question has been asked repeatedly so you should be able to find an answer to a lot of your questions. The short answer is become a very good screenwriter. B)

Edited by James Steven Beverly

Daniel, check the Director's Corner forum at the top of the Non Cinematography section:

http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?showforum=57

There's a lot of good information down there and this question has been asked repeatedly so you should be able to find an answer to a lot of your questions. The short answer is become a very good screenwriter. B)

Alright Thanks A lot. I'll check it out ;)

• Premium Member

Daniel,

I make this statement to aspiring filmakers several times per month. Just go shoot a film(or video,HD,digital cinema). A

ten or fifteen minute production would be fine. One very important aspect is that you need a strong script/story. You sh-

ould read the script and understand the story. Make a shooting schedule for shooting your scenes and have your crew stick

to the story,shooting schedule. You could go to ASC website and look for books on directing to provide you with ideas about

a good text or book on direction. The Director,Director of Photography,Cameraman should read the script and be very fam-

iliar with the story. If this last statement seems too juvenile to you then I apologize. I'm going to give you a title that you can

write a script for and then when ready you can start production. "Best Friends" . Try to tell the story without a lot of dialogue

and rely more on action to tell the story. If you can please post your short film here so we can view it. Best of luck to you in

your endeavors to achieve excellence in the wonderful world of film. Do not forget that a good story/script can be very simple.

Greg Gross