Shooting a short in studio

Aloe Vera

Hey,

I plan to shoot my next short film in super 8. I don't have camera yet, but i'm looking one to buy. Ive made research about prices of film and everything such. So i have here couple questions regarding shooting super 8 in studio conditions. This means we will be making sets from zero. I will be able to light it the way i want. I could have all kinds of lights from kinoflos to tungstens, HMI daylights ranging from 200W to 4KW. What would you recommend for the use of lights and how to use lights and work with super 8? Its going to be in color and probably i'm gonna use ektachrome 64t. I would want it to be quite colorful and high contrast.

Thanks for any advice.

• 2 weeks later...

hi jerri,

i'm pretty new to lighting for super 8mm film too, but what i found invaluable during the course of the day was having my Nikon DSLR to hand for reference... the exposure latitude for reversal film is very similar to my DSLR, therefore if you set it up to the same settings as your super 8 camera you can use it to spotmeter and take reference shots.

i use a f1.8 50mm lens as it gives the same stop as my super8 lens... the ISO on the DSLR only goes down to 100 so to spot for 64T you'd have to compensate with the shutter and/or f stop

the manual for the super8 camera you buy should give you the shutter details...

i'll give you an example...

my DSLR suggests shooting at ISO 100 f3.3 at 1/45

super 8 camera setting should be ISO 64 f1.8 at 1/45

hope this helps, i know it's not professional advice but i found it works!

• 5 weeks later...
hi jerri,

i use a f1.8 50mm lens as it gives the same stop as my super8 lens... the ISO on the DSLR only goes down to 100 so to spot for 64T you'd have to compensate with the shutter and/or f stop

the manual for the super8 camera you buy should give you the shutter details...

i'll give you an example...

my DSLR suggests shooting at ISO 100 f3.3 at 1/45

super 8 camera setting should be ISO 64 f1.8 at 1/45

Hey Kris - I'm shooting in the studio soon as well and I like your idea but I don't understand your math. Am I missing something?

ISO 64 -> ISO 100 is ~1 stop (or perhaps 2/3 of a stop, whatever)

So if you're ISO 64/f.18 I think you'd compensate by going one stop smaller to ISO 100/f 2.5 (2.4) but you're going two f-stops smaller. What am I missing?

Thanks

Schmüdde