Pan Cinor 85

grant mcphee

Hi,

I've been trying to adjust my Pan Cinor lens (17-85)without much luck.

It is the model which has the dogleg finder at a 45 degree angle, unlike the more common 90 degree version (it has an odd kind of box between the tube which comes out of the lens, and the tube which the eyepiece attaches).

At the moment it is positioned so that it is on the left hand side of my bolex. It would like to rotate it so that it is just above the critical focuser, on the right hand side.

I assumed it would just be a case of taking out the 3 screws which stop the ring that the viewfinder attaches to on the lens. I unscrewed these and could easily rotate the finder to any position required. The finder was in the position I wanted but the 'hole' in the lens did not move with this so the finder was no longer any use.

How can I move the whole assembly to a new position? I attempted to move the thread of the c-mount (there are little notches which seem to be for moving) but it did not want to move, and I did not want to force it.

Any help?

Thanks

• Premium Member
Hi,

It is the model which has the dogleg finder at a 45 degree angle, unlike the more common 90 degree version (it has an odd kind of box between the tube which comes out of the lens, and the tube which the eyepiece attaches).

At the moment it is positioned so that it is on the left hand side of my bolex. It would like to rotate it so that it is just above the critical focuser, on the right hand side.

I assumed it would just be a case of taking out the 3 screws which stop the ring that the viewfinder attaches to on the lens. I unscrewed these and could easily rotate the finder to any position required. The finder was in the position I wanted but the 'hole' in the lens did not move with this so the finder was no longer any use.

How can I move the whole assembly to a new position? I attempted to move the thread of the c-mount (there are little notches which seem to be for moving) but it did not want to move, and I did not want to force it.

Any help?

Thanks

post-4971-1235358929.jpg

Hi,

Any help?

Thanks

The last operation you describe is indeed the correct way to proceed with these lenses (and all Berthiots with such notches in the C-mount thread). The lens originally came with a little tool to do it (it looks a bit like a large bottle cap), but you can do it with anything else that acts as a spanner of that size.

I can't quite remember what happens with the viewfinder window once you have rotated the lens to the right position, but it will need to be adjusted too. I think it's just a matter of rotating the mask in front of the prism in the dog leg -- the 'box' you mention -- which you can access by unscrewing the rear part of the viewfinder tube.

I can't be sure about that either, but I think there may be a problem with doing what you're trying to do with a Bolex. It seems I've tried that before and found out I couldn't -- perhaps that viewfinder mask, or the physical space of the lens with respect to the Bolex body... I'm not sure... Maybe it was only with the first version of the lens, the one with the v-f sticking out a a 90 deg. angle from the camera body (when viewed from the front). It's definitely possible with the last version (right-angled v-f), but I think that one was designed with Bolex in mind.

I hope I'm not too confusing! But it's definitely the thread that rotates, nothing else on the lens -- leave those screws alone !

B.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi Grant,

I wonder if you can help me, I posted my question under another topic, (see below).

I was sent to your topic, and I see that you have a similar problem, I wonder if you would be able to help me out.

I am using a kodak K-100 with c-mount fittings.

I bought a Pn Cinor 85, I think the same one as you have.

My problem is that when I screw the lens to the front of my camera, it is about a quarter of a turn off where it should be with the zoom lever pointing down, and thus the viewfinder is not level.

I was wondering if you had found a way to adjust the c-mount on the lens, so that when I screw the lens to the front of the camera, it becomes tight so the zoom lever is pointing down.

If I am unable to adjust the actual c-mount it self, would it harm the picture quality to have the zoom lever in a 45 degree angle from straight?

And if so, is it then possible to straighten the viewfinder separately?

Anyway, here is a link to my original post, which has a picture of the lens, and a slightly different technical question attached.

http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?sh...mp;#entry318146

Any help with this would be welcomed.

Or if anyone else has any ideas, that would be great.Question about Pan Cinor 85 lens

Kind regards

James