FS: Arriflex 35 IIC camera package w/crystal motor

Tim Carroll

• Premium Member

FOR SALE: Arriflex 35 IIC PL-mount Crystal Sync Camera Package

ArriIIC.jpg

This Arriflex 35 IIC camera was one of the last made by the ARRI factory. It's had very little film run through it and is in practically new condition. It comes with the following:

Arriflex 35 IIC camera body

PL mount

High Speed Gate

New ARRI 1.85 ground glass

Cinematography Electronics 2C Crystal Motor Base

ARRI constant speed motor (w/power cord)

4 - Arriflex III 400' magazines (forward and reverse)

1 - Arriflex IIC 200' magazine

Arriflex IIC Barney

Original ARRI factory IIC case for camera, 400' mag and 200' mag

Magazine case and loop protectors for the other three 400' mags.

You can see pictures and read more about the camera package at the link below:

Arriflex 35 IIC PL-mount Crystal Sync Camera Package

Asking $5400

Best,

-Tim

• Premium Member

The CE base replaces the regular motor. You can read all the details about the motor at the Cinematography Electronics web site:

2C CRYSTAL MOTOR BASE

A few details from their web site:

2C Crystal Motor Base

The crystal speed range of the 2C CRYSTAL MOTOR BASE is 1 through 80 frames per second (fps) in 1 fps increments . . . Crystal speeds of 33.333 fps and 16.666 fps are also provided for flickerfree filming with 50 Hz HMI lights. The motor base runs forward or reverse at all speeds . . . An out-of-sync beeper with adjustable volume chirps when the camera is not running at the selected speed.

In addition to driving the camera at 1 fps continuously, the 2C CRYSTAL MOTOR BASE makes your camera an excellent choice for single frame time-lapse photography.

Located on the camera assistant's side of the motor base are a digital LED tachometer and footage/meter counter. The tachometer displays the running speed of the camera or the selected (preview) speed when the camera is off. The footage/meter counter, with reset and a four-hour memory backup, displays the total film count. The 2C CRYSTAL MOTOR BASE is powered by one or two 12 volt DC batteries.

The 2C CRYSTAL MOTOR BASE stops the camera with the mirror shutter in the viewing position. In addition, the motor base has two camera run switches; a toggle switch on the assistant's side of the camera for tripod work, and a momentary push-button on the rear surface of the base for hand held filming.

Chosen by camera rental companies and custom camera manufacturers for its rugged design features, ease of use, and wide range of crystal speeds, the 2C CRYSTAL MOTOR BASE is the professional choice for your Arri 2C type camera.

The motor alone sold for about seven or eight grand.

Best,

-Tim

• Premium Member
This is a bargain. Tim, why are you selling this beauty? I have managed to hang on to mine even though I still have not shot a project with it yet :( Hopefully this summer.

Babar,

Thanks, it really is a beautiful camera. In anticipation of the sale I opened her up yesterday, gave the drive train a fresh lube, as well as the cardioid cam, reset the FFD, then did my monthly mag maintenance on all five magazines (running each one for ten minutes to keep the lube fresh and checking take-up torque for each mag). She's all ready to go.

Why am I selling it? Not shooting 35mm much right now and I'd like the camera to be used as intended, not sitting on my shelf.

Best,

-Tim

• Premium Member
Hi Tim,

I see it says "No longer available". Did you sell the camera package or just decide to hang on to it?

-Fran

A friend contacted me and asked if he could use it to shoot a project in spring or early summer, so I am going to let him use it. When he's finished it might be for sale again, not sure.

I may just hang onto it if I can find enough projects to shoot with it. It's really a beautiful package, and with my Cookes it makes some awesome images. And I'd never find one in this kind of shape, with everything this package has, for anywhere near $5400.

You should have snatched it up earlier in the week before he talked to me. Oh well.

Best,

-Tim

• Premium Member
A friend contacted me and asked if he could use it to shoot a project in spring or early summer, so I am going to let him use it. When he's finished it might be for sale again, not sure.

I may just hang onto it if I can find enough projects to shoot with it. It's really a beautiful package, and with my Cookes it makes some awesome images. And I'd never find one in this kind of shape, with everything this package has, for anywhere near $5400.

You should have snatched it up earlier in the week before he talked to me. Oh well.

Best,

-Tim

Tim,

Saved by the bell. I was hoping you'd say you kept it. I want that thing, but I popped for a Technovision geared head this week, so I'm going to have to wait a couple of months before my next big purchase. By the way, $5400 is an absolute steal. I paid more for my first Arri 16 S/B kit, and that had to go to Axel for a full CLA.

I've been looking for one of those IICs for three years. As luck would have it, two come up in the same week. There's another nice one on eBay right now: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=150328557053

Let me know if you change your mind when that project is done. I'm going to start selling some guitars to get the cash!

-Fran

• Premium Member

It's like a freakin' Soap Opera. He now wants to use an Aaton(heresy) for his project, so the beautiful ARRI is back on the blocks.

ArriIIC.jpg

Arriflex 35 IIC camera body

PL mount

High Speed Gate

New ARRI 1.85 ground glass

Cinematography Electronics 2C Crystal Motor Base

ARRI constant speed motor (w/power cord)

4 - Arriflex III 400' magazines (forward and reverse)

1 - Arriflex IIC 200' magazine

Arriflex IIC Barney

Original ARRI factory IIC case for camera, 400' mag and 200' mag

Magazine case and loop protectors for the other three 400' mags.

You can see lots more pics and all the details here:

Arriflex 35 IIC PL-mount Crystal Sync Camera Package

Best,

-Tim

• 9 years later...

In the original post, Tim mentions a high speed gate for the 2C camera. I'm aware that high speed motors are still available for the 2C, but in what way does the high speed gate differ to the standard gate? Also, does anyone know what a used CE crystal motor might go for these days?