Video Shot on ACL

Jason Hinkle RIP

I'm excited to share that my first official project shot on an ACL just went online. It's a music video - feel free to check it out at http://www.curiousthree.com/cot/ - any constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated (however I already know it looks grainy as hell!)

The grain is largely due to shooting it on regular 16 w/ Vision3 500T stock, barely having enough lights and finally cropping to 2.35. But aside from that, the ACL worked out great and despite the grain and numerous technical flaws it's already been on iTunes as well as clips are airing on MTV2 and Adult Swim. It does make me feel very good about buying the camera and all the time and effort spent learning how to shoot film.

Thanks a bunch to everybody here in the forums for all your help and advice - it's really fantastic having a place to ask stupid questions and not be ridiculed!

• Premium Member

Hey Jason,

It's not nearly as grainy as you make it out to be. I dig the Rushmore influence, and I think you did a mostly good job of matching it so it's less an homage and more a reproduction. I'm not entirely sure it works for the song itself, but, hey, it works in general.

I would have personally liked a little more out of the performance sequences, or less of it and more of the story side of things, but, again, good job, man.

Thanks so much, I pretty much agree with everything you said. It definitely is a unabashed rip-off for most of those shots, though there are a few originals in there too & they are all filled with our own little secret jokes by way of cheap prop substitutions and such. I feel like it was a helpful technical exercise for me, trying to copy a master. But now that I'm getting a little more confident with film I'm ready to shoot my own vision next time. I was very paranoid the whole time that I would somehow ruin the film or something, so I feel like my fear level will hopefully be lower next time and I can relax and focus more on the artistic part.

Oh, one thing I definitely learned is not to choose a treatment with so many setups when you only have one day with the band. Also, to shoot the performance footage first thing in the day and do the plot elements afterward. By the time we got to the performance footage it was hour 15 and did that all in 3 hours. I was lucky that the band was so eager to work hard and still had any energy after a tough day.

Edited by Jason Hinkle

Sweet man, good job. I see what you mean about the grain. It looks fine when viewed small as it shows online. Full screen on an HD monitor I bet it is a lot grainier. Looks good though. But hey, it is film! YAY!!! I like the flat lighting, it suits the project well. My fave sequence is the last one, with the curtain drawing and the (rotoscoped) image of the crowd / band at the bleachers. Understated and classy.

Keep it up!

Looks nice. What lenses did you use?

Thanks - I used a Nikon 14mm for some of the shots, but I wound up using mostly my Angie 12-120 at 12mm because it was the widest lens I had to get the typical Wes Anderson look. I wish I had a slightly wider lens for that shoot, but I used what I had!

Thanks Saul for the kind words!

Edited by Jason Hinkle

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks - I used a Nikon 14mm for some of the shots, but I wound up using mostly my Angie 12-120 at 12mm because it was the widest lens I had to get the typical Wes Anderson look. I wish I had a slightly wider lens for that shoot, but I used what I had!

Thanks Saul for the kind words!

Hi this is my first post and i just got an acl myself! I think what you did in the time alotted is fantastic. Her close-ups look great. Im smiling to myself at the quality this camera and the angie lens provide. Well done!

Great job! I'm with Lee...the close ups on the singer have a really nice quality. I would have dropped the titles off after establishing what each setup was. It's a bit redundant on the subsequent shots to still have "Model United Nations: Russia" on the fourth or fifth go-round. Otherwise, I'm sure Wes Anderson would be proud.