HD Camera Test - f900 vs. EX3

Alex Worster

So, I've been asked last minute to come help out tomorrow with some camera tests for a feature I might be 1sting. The original idea was to shoot with a Sony f900/Digizoom combination but now I guess the producers are putting some pressure on to test the Sony EX3 so that's what we're going to be doing tomorrow. I've worked plenty with the f900/Digizoom combo and am happy with it from an assistant's POV but I am fairly new to the EX3 so in short I'm looking for some advice on things to test for and discuss with the DP and production. Likes, dislikes, things to look out for, things that the EX3 might do better (if any), any help would be awesome!

Hey Alex,

Satsuki and I were recently on a corporate shoot with the EX3, and the biggest problem we ran into was setting back focus. There's a hidden menu that you have to hold down 2 or 3 buttons at once to get to, and from there the camera sets the back focus automatically (using a focus chart that you have to set up as a reference for it).

Satsuki tried doing it several times, and when he zoomed in for focus, each time he zoomed back out it went soft. So it's something to watch out for.

We weren't sure whether the camera shifts the chip itself or if it shifts a lens element to set the back focus, so it's something else to research just to know if something is going wrong either with the lens or the camera body.

Do you plan on getting the 2/3" to 1/2" adapter, or just shooting with the supplied Fujinon lens? I think I saw in AC mag something about P+S releasing a 35 adapter especially for the Sony EX cameras.

• Premium Member
There's a hidden menu that you have to hold down 2 or 3 buttons at once to get to, and from there the camera sets the back focus automatically (using a focus chart that you have to set up as a reference for it).

Actually, it might be in the main menus. We were quite rushed and I don't remember now if the whole hidden menu thing actually brought up anything useful or not. Anyway, the important bit is that the servo motor for the lens must be engaged for the back focus menu item to be selectable (I think it's called "FB adjust" or something like that). Apparently a lot of EX3s are having this back focus problem and need to be sent back to the factory, so make sure it gets checked.

I know you guys start shooting this week, but if it's not too late I'd recommend getting that 2/3" mount adapter and putting a nice cine-style lens with a backfocus on the camera instead - the Canon 5.5-44 cine zoom is real nice.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Matti Poutanen
I know you guys start shooting this week, but if it's not too late I'd recommend getting that 2/3" mount adapter and putting a nice cine-style lens with a backfocus on the camera instead - the Canon 5.5-44 cine zoom is real nice.

Is the glass diffirent in Canon cine style lens compared to Canon ENG lens, or is the diffirence just in ergonomics?