Digital Feature Wins Oscar

Tom Lowe

I know I am fuming.

Not because it didn't deserve to win, but because now every HV30 owner is going to mention it ad-infinitum

I'm not sure where the HV30 comes into this. I gather Slumdog was shot on the low profile (in a more ways than one) SI Mini, a 35mm film camera and an anonymous Canon stills camera that could do 12 fps.

http://www.siliconimaging.com/DigitalCinem...09_Slumdog.html

Digital consumer cameras have been used on a a number of successful films, but they had other attributes than the camera being used. The Dogma films was an example of great marketing built on this.

It's an example of cinematographers doing what they've always done and that's being innovative with new tools as they come along.

A more likely ad infinitum is the use of the Canon.

As for the number of wins & nominations, for a film that nearly went straight out on DVD, it perhaps reflects the times and films about hope go down well in bad times.

Some of the harder edges in the novel I believe were taken out - I heard that in the novel the girl was still in the brothel rather than being with the gangster. That could be the producers going for a larger audience, but there's nothing new in that, even though the brothel scenario would've been more realistic.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is it the politically proper thing to do? I see no political motivation for it to win. If you'd said that about Milk, it would make sense. Am I missing something?

Well Milk did win some that I was surprised about as well, but to give Slumdog a bunch is politically proper because I think that this is one of the first times that an Indian company has won this many Oscars before. Also not to mention it, I think, had the lowest budget of all the films there. I don't want to say anything to arouse an argument, but whenever different races or sexes comes into play, the Academy seems to always go with the politically correct candidate, which in this case would've have been Slumdog or Milk. Also, just to let you know, Slumdog took home 8 of it 10 nominated Oscars last night, and that alone forces me to question. But we've all got to admit that the Academy, in the past, have always based there judging, not necessarily on the quality of something, but on how many people is this will draw in. Slumdog makes for an interesting story, because here are a group of people that were from India that made a low-budget film. So they gave most of the awards to the underdog, and in turn, probably made a lot of money off of the reviews and how many ppl watched it.

Anyway, we all have our opinions, mine is that the Academy is a little bias in some areas, but it doesn't mean that I don't like Slumdog, it just means simply that it's hard to enjoy Oscar night, when all the films that I really liked, went home with next to nothing. So anyway, here's to Sundance! lol

Cheers!

Maybe I should say that it's less that it is a political move as it is a money-making move, or a publicity move. They were in a since, going with the underdog, because it would draw in a bunch of people around the world.

But again, that's just my opinion. :/

Guest Tim Partridge

Anyone know why Loveleen Tandan wasn't a co-winner with Danny Boyle for best director? She is credited as "co-director (India)".

Well done to AD Mantle. It's only taken TWENTY YEARS for a Brit to bag a DP Oscar!

I'm not sure you can say "Slumdog" is totally a film made by Indians, there's a lot of British involvement including production companies. The director is Scottish, he made "Trainspotting" and "28 Days" and there has been a debate in India about why they don't make "realistic" films as against the traditional "Bollywood" fare.

Hard to say about Loveleen Tandan, could be she worked under Danny Boyle's direction during the non English speaking scenes with the Children. They were excellent.

I also heard talk that the Hollywood guys were keen to get closer to Bollywood because that's where in the funding is these days.

There is always industry politics over the Oscars and the Studios tend to load their "winning" productions just before the awards seasons. The politically correct films don't always win, "Brokenback Mountain" didn't, perhaps because of the gay marriage issue at the time.

Edited by Brian Drysdale

I'm not sure you can say "Slumdog" is totally a film made by Indians, there's a lot of British involvement including production companies. The director is Scottish, he made "Trainspotting" and "28 Days" and there has been a debate in India about why they don't make "realistic" films as against the traditional "Bollywood" fare.

I also heard talk that the Hollywood guys were keen to get closer to Bollywood because that's where in the funding is these days.

There is always industry politics over the Oscars and the Studios tend to load their "winning" productions just before the awards seasons. The politically correct films don't always win, "Brokenback Mountain" didn't, perhaps because of the gay marriage issue at the time.

Those are some good points. It doesn't change my opinion on how bias the Academy is, but it does make me feel a little better. It is too bad that some other well deserving films didn't get many awards though. One person, that I was very glad to see win, was Kate Winslet. I think that one was the most deserving Oscar win of the bunch, besides of course Heath Ledger. Kate Winslet did a fantastic job in The Reader. I guess that's a little off subject though. :/

anyone else upset by Ben Stillers little stunt? I thought it was distracting from the awards being presented and in poor taste. It shows a lack of respect for the craft and I am disapointed that the producers let that happen during the presentation of the award.

What do you expect? He's a comedian. :blink:

He did deviate from the script though. You'll notice in the long shot, even the camera-operator had to zoom out because everyone in the audience was laughing at him walking away from the podium and watching on the screen.

• Premium Member

I was a bit offended that they used the Cinematography Oscar presentation to make unrelated jokes, as if no one really cared about that category. I suspect that Anthony Dod Mantle was biting his tongue to not comment on the lack of respect of the presentation, because I might have been tempted myself if I were up there to say "wow -- thanks Academy... for that inspirational piece on the power of cinematography..." And I'm speaking as an AMPAS member...

It was funny for about 15 seconds, but was ultimately disrespectful to the category.

There have been so many years where the presenters have been making jokes during the handing out of one of the "technical" awards. The fact is the show is for the mass viewing public and none of them know what a DOP, editor, art director, VFX crew, etc etc does.

The producers probably like to keep the show rolling along during the handing out of the "boring" awards. The other issue for the producers is that the people who get these awards are complete unknowns to the public. So "this guy" gets up to receive his award for best cinematography and the public has no idea who he is, what he does, or why they should listen to his boring speech.

The public wants to see celebrities and famous people. You'll notice that during their montages of past winners the clips where always famous actors getting their awards. I didn't see a single craft person in that part of the show.

They certainly didn't do any jokes for the handing out of best actor and actress, for that they had a whole team of famous past winners come out on stage and praise each of the nominated individuals. In this way the public gets to see even more famous people!

A big big part of the show is what the women are wearing. All of the entertainment shows will dedicate vast amounts of air time this week featuring the fashions of the women. This is an integral part of the Oscars for female viewers.

Now since 90% of the technical awards are won by men, the producers are stuck with all these guys coming up on stage wearing their tuxedos talking about a craft the audience knows nothing about nor cares to. Perfect time to insert some comedy of some kind.

R,

It was funny for about 15 seconds, but was ultimately disrespectful to the category.

The presentation of live action short also fell into the same boat. The intro segment was fine and funny, but the presentation of the actual award could have been done better. If I was to hazard an opinion, whatever gag is being performed needs to be dropped by the time it comes to saying "and the nominees are..".

Now since 90% of the technical awards are won by men, the producers are stuck with all these guys coming up on stage wearing their tuxedos talking about a craft the audience knows nothing about nor cares to. Perfect time to insert some comedy of some kind.

R,

Maybe as a solution to the problem of uniform men's dress, they should've given Mickey Rourke an award then ;-)

As an aside, I think the "white tie" attire donned by men is about 100 years out of date. Why is men's fashion still firmly stuck in the Victorian era? Clothes that women wear certainly aren't.

Also, I don't think Ben Stiller should be faulted for what he did. If anyone deserves criticism, the executive that chose him to present does. At the same time, I think NP effectively contrasted BS's performance with reverence and a serious composure.

Lol. Maybe Christian Bale and Shane Hurlbut would have made a more effective duo?

Further to my above comments as I walked past a TV playing The View today they where going on and on and on about Angelia Jolie vs Jennifer Aniston at the Oscars, Oooooooo, high drama.

Apparently discussing who won for best cinematography is not high on their agenda :lol:

R,

We all have What's-her-name to blame with that dress that she had to glue to her breasts to keep it from falling off. The news hounds and paparazzi have been desperate for new scoops on shocking attire ever since. . .

I thought it was hilarious when Ben Stiller did that, but at the same time, I was kind of wishing they had done it during another presentation. Ultimately though, I found myself cracking up on how funny it was. And actually, I don't think it took away from the presentation at all. Throughout all of the presentations, there were many comedic stunts taking place, so if we thought that the Ben Stiller stunt was disrespectful, then the Academy was just as disrespectful with the others.

I thought it was hilarious when Ben Stiller did that, but at the same time, I was kind of wishing they had done it during another presentation. Ultimately though, I found myself cracking up on how funny it was. And actually, I don't think it took away from the presentation at all. Throughout all of the presentations, there were many comedic stunts taking place, so if we thought that the Ben Stiller stunt was disrespectful, then the Academy was just as disrespectful with the others.

My thoughts exactly.

Now, if both of them were cracking jokes the whole time it would have been disrespectful.

• Premium Member
Slumdog wins. This breaks a very, very long winning streak for film. ;)

I'm sure certain people who hate digital are probably crying scorching tears down their cheeks tonight.

Congrats to the guys at Cineform!!

Gee... too bad the best looking scenes were shot on 35mm. I guess it must be another victory for film. Don't cry. It's not that important.

I was a bit offended that they used the Cinematography Oscar presentation to make unrelated jokes, as if no one really cared about that category. I suspect that Anthony Dod Mantle was biting his tongue to not comment on the lack of respect of the presentation, because I might have been tempted myself if I were up there to say "wow -- thanks Academy... for that inspirational piece on the power of cinematography..." And I'm speaking as an AMPAS member...

I could not agree more. I felt both insulted and surprised.

I could not agree more. I felt both insulted and surprised.

Again, what do you expect from Ben Stiller?

If you want to be "insulted" by someone, be insulted at the Academy for picking him to present in the first place!