Roger Deakins' website shut down

David Calson

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly, running a public forum on even the most trivial subjects is inviting people who suffer from unfocused rage at the world to pick you as their target.

I help moderate a forum on, of all things, automated cat litter boxes. We also have one crazy person who felt he was done wrong by being banned and has made it his mission in life to cause the owner of the forum and the moderators as much grief as possible. He had found out where we work, our home addresses and threatened us with legal action. It's most likely pointless nonsense but you have to take lunatics seriously because even they don't know what they're capable of.

Unfortunately shutting your site down is exactly what they want. I'm sure the guy who attacked Deakins' site was jumping with glee in his basement since his mission was accomplished.

• Premium Member

I have been speaking with computer friends recently about this issue. The internet has allowed people like this open expression. Before the internet, this kind of person had to keep their uncomfortable behaviors quiet and to themselves. It's a little scary to think that people like this may have been standing next to you in public thinking horrid and wretched thoughts to themselves. Now, they have a venue of expression. The internet allows them to manifest many of their malformed brain crinkles without any particular form of normal social mirroring. Sadly, it means that they also have the power to shove out persons who are keenly gaining knowledge and socialization from the internet, like the habitués of C.com. Often, this behavior stays in environments appropriate for it like gro.nahc4, moc.lufwagnihtemos and moc.dlrowsmuabe (spelled backwards for safety reasons). It could be possible that with the considerable stresses our society is encountering from the economic troubles we will see more bad behavior splashing into normally civilized sites and forums.

• Premium Member
Hi Paul,

I know of one member here who received a death threat.

Stephen

If Tim Tyler logs IP addresses it might be possible for law enforcement to track the culprit down. I belong to a couple of websites where when I log on, the site sends back to me the IP address my ISP (ATT) is currently assigning to my DSL.

Want to know your current IP address? http://www.dslreports.com/whois?java=1

I help moderate a forum on, of all things, automated cat litter boxes.

I honestly thought I had heard every thing....that's a new one on me :blink:

R,

If Tim Tyler logs IP addresses it might be possible for law enforcement to track the culprit down. I belong to a couple of websites where when I log on, the site sends back to me the IP address my ISP (ATT) is currently assigning to my DSL.

Want to know your current IP address? http://www.dslreports.com/whois?java=1

Hal,

Is an IP address specific to one computer in the world, or a whole network?

Yes, I did a web search on this question first, but the answer seems inconclusive to me.

R,

Hal,

Is an IP address specific to one computer in the world, or a whole network?

Yes, I did a web search on this question first, but the answer seems inconclusive to me.

R,

Usually ISPs carve out a subset of IPs and dole them out to users. Your IP could change from day to day or week to week, but ISPs keep a log of them, as do most websites. This is one of the ways the RIAA was busting people, by hopping onto a bittorrent tracker and watching all the ip addresses that connected to their seed, and then supoenaing the ISPs for the information about which user had which IP and what time.

On another note: It seems that I can't get to the innards of the website at all now, could someone zip and rapidshare those diagrams? I'd really like a copy if at all possible.

Much appreciated.

Usually ISPs carve out a subset of IPs and dole them out to users. Your IP could change from day to day or week to week, but ISPs keep a log of them, as do most websites. This is one of the ways the RIAA was busting people, by hopping onto a bittorrent tracker and watching all the ip addresses that connected to their seed, and then supoenaing the ISPs for the information about which user had which IP and what time.

What baffles me is why the MPAA has not gone after movie downloaders the way the music industry went after music downloaders?

If the technology exists why does the MPAA fiddle while Rome burns?

R,

What baffles me is why the MPAA has not gone after movie downloaders the way the music industry went after music downloaders?

If the technology exists why does the MPAA fiddle while Rome burns?

R,

I don't want to thread hijack, but I will say that they have used them. Any more discussion on why it's not working, or the best tactics going forward should probably be broken out into another thread.

Thats really dissapointing. I never got a chance to check out the forum, but it sounds like a great recource. I wish I had known about it sooner. Are there any other great forums I'm missing out on?

• 3 weeks later...

That was too bad they shut down the website

Did anybody archive the website by chance? I would love to see the diagrams!

I was wondering the same, please share the stuff you download be4 from Deakins website..

Thanks

Edited by Jomaro

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I suppose all has been said about it!!

What a shame!! And what a blessing while Roger still took time to engage and share experience, knowledge and enthusiasm..

Came across 'Jarhead' on UK TV last night and stunned by how hyptonic the images are bearing in mind most of the film uses a 'white cube' of a desert.... Another stunning piece of work by Mr Deakins..

Keep up the fantastic work and I'm quite willing to push for your site to come live again...

Regards,

Daniel

The site is still down, but the message includes this email address: webmaster@rogerdeakins.com

Has anyone tried writing to the site expressing a desire for its return? I am sure if enough people who are genuinely and respectfully appreciative of the Deakins site, it could have some impact on whether or not it returns some day.

I just sent a quick email to encourage a reconsideration.

• 1 month later...

News, all:

On Jun 8, 2009, at 12:08 PM, I wrote to Rogerdeakins.com webmaster:

It is unfortunate that the site is still down as a result of this decision. The behaviour of one individual should not have such a drastic impact on everyone else. I really hope that Mr. Deakins reconsiders this decision, so that in the future the majority of us who show our respectful appreciation may continue to benefit from this valuable resource.

Sincerely,

Stephen Brown

I just received this response:

Dear Stephen,

I wanted to let you know that we have reinstated the site at www.rogerdeakins.com. We have re-opened the forum as well.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Regards,

James Ellis Deakins

Webmaster

www.RogerDeakins.com

webmaster@rogerdeakins.com

Edited by Stephen J Brown