16mm and VFX

At night or during the day ???

Mate eeven between takes you'll notice the white flash as the exposure changes in ramp down and up and when you park the film ?

Believe me light leaks around the back of shutters.

jb

Surely that's' not from light leaking *through* the shutter, maybe through the viewfinder. I always thought the "flash" was from people deliberately opening up the shutter to check the gate. . .

I did not understand that at as well. Sorry John.

We are only exposing one frame at a time. The danger with light leaks is fogging the 'parked' frame... which it can do through the Shutter, Karl... not through the Shutter but it can bounce around enough to finally make it through behind or around the Shutter.

As far as 'pull down fogging goes'... if it was ever an issue ARRI and Panavision would have cured that decades ago.

I did not understand that at as well. Sorry John.

We are only exposing one frame at a time. The danger with light leaks is fogging the 'parked' frame... which it can do through the Shutter, Karl... not through the Shutter but it can bounce around enough to finally make it through behind or around the Shutter.

I understood that it would be from bounce rather than literally travelling through, but even if that were the case, it wouldn't be fogging just one frame specifically. Are some shutters not flush with the camera body, but instead some distance away from it?

Of course, I only have experience with Bolexes and Auricons and "flashed frames"

Most aren't 'perfectly' flush... no. Mitchells and evidently Aatons have that covered. As Aaton stated it is an 'accidental by-product' of the design.. so it wasn't even something they were going for. I find it very hard to believe that ARRI and Panavision have been releasing inferior products as pull down fogging occurs on those cameras... so they are not as sharp...