ROBBERY AT PANAVISION PARIS!!!!!!!!!

Delorme Jean-Marie

this news come from http://www.cinematographie.info

about 15 cameras and lens serie were stolen this WE from cinecam a company of panavision.

so far i don't know if it's S16 or 35mm but as soon as we know more about the serial numbers we will let you know.

it's a warning for sale in ebay i bet they won't try to sell this stuff in europe

i feel verry sorry for them they are good friends.

• Premium Member

I was talking with some of the Panavision guys at HPA last week. They tell stories of the stolen stuff they find on e-bay. It seems that the sellers become very cooperative when faced with the 100% certainty that the gear is hot.

It's unfortunate that this gear is AWOL, and more so if any of it gets damaged. But rest assured that the fools who stole it won't benefit. Anybody who knows what it is, knows that it's stolen.

-- J.S.

Can I suggest that you post the serials numbers and any further information regarding the theft to this thread instead of starting new threads.

I skipped over the other threads at first because I thought you had accidentally created duplicate threads.

Can I suggest that you post the serials numbers and any further information regarding the theft to this thread instead of starting new threads.

I skipped over the other threads at first because I thought you had accidentally created duplicate threads.

i posted on separated threads to make it simple for users when they need the information on a specific item and this thread is open if you need to coment on the robbery.

they left with bags and didn't took the flycases !

they cut the telephone wires on the street .

they opened a hole on the side of the building hidden by trucks from the camera security system then they smached the alarm bell.

panavision hired a security guard for this WE but the site is so big he didn't heard the alarm.

they left with bags and didn't took the flycases !

they cut the telephone wires on the street .

they opened a hole on the side of the building hidden by trucks from the camera security system then they smached the alarm bell.

panavision hired a security guard for this WE but the site is so big he didn't heard the alarm.

Wow, this totally reminds me of Le Cercle Rouge, Le Flic, Le Samourai and other robbery / French underworld movies by Jean Pierre Melville / books and movie scripts based on books by Roger Borniche.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flic_Story

I am a fan of all of them . . .

The robbery is a shame, but someone should make a movie about it. Gangsters who steal movie cameras. I'd be the first one to watch it!!!!

• Premium Member

Here's a suggestion/request for Tim: Could you put the lists of serial numbers in a closed pinned thread at the top of this folder? Or maybe even a special subfolder with special rules just for reporting stolen gear. No discussion, just the facts: descriptions, serial numbers, contacts and law enforcement info.

-- J.S.

i posted on separated threads to make it simple for users when they need the information on a specific item and this thread is open if you need to coment on the robbery.

Fair enough.

My concern was that people were going to ignore the information within those threads as they may have mistaken it for a duplicated thread. That and it seemed important that the information was kept all under one roof - although I do understand that it could get lost within the noise of this thread (such as this reply ;)).

I like John's suggestion.

yes they are insured off course but the series of primes T1.4 (G.O.) is priceless as it's not made anymore.

G.O. means "Grande Overture" which means Wide Aperture.

Those are Super Speed lenses.

"If the cameras are all Panavised the police will know exactly what to look for regardless of serial numbers. The impression I get of the French police is that they're pretty smart."

Hal, what gives you that impression?

I just hope the lenses and other gear doesn't get ditched when the thieves figure out how difficult it is going to be to sell anything Panavision other than coffee mugs and T-shirts.

I've heard stories about junkies walking into second-hand photo shops trying to sell Panavision lenses. Usually the shop pays peanuts for the lens and returns it to the rental company and gets a little tip from the insurance company.