S8 Negative Film Processing in UK

Ian Cooper

I know Todd-AO stopped processing super-8 negative film prior to their closure, but I've just been looking at the new website for "Soho Film Lab" and noticed under their 'RUSHES' tab they state:

"Super 8mm colour negative is also developed & transferred in-house - please contact us for more details"

So, does this mean once again there's a company processing S8 negative in the UK? I'm not planning on shooting super-8 in the near future, so don't see much point bothering them myself to ask details etc, but for anyone who is possibly in the market it might be worth making enquiries! :)

I know Todd-AO stopped processing super-8 negative film prior to their closure, but I've just been looking at the new website for "Soho Film Lab" and noticed under their 'RUSHES' tab they state:

"Super 8mm colour negative is also developed & transferred in-house - please contact us for more details"

So, does this mean once again there's a company processing S8 negative in the UK? I'm not planning on shooting super-8 in the near future, so don't see much point bothering them myself to ask details etc, but for anyone who is possibly in the market it might be worth making enquiries! :)

Film and Photo 020 7992 0037 can process Super 8 colour negative.

Brian

Film and Photo 020 7992 0037 can process Super 8 colour negative.

Brian

Ooo yes! - I've just looked on their website and it shows they charge £30 / cartridge for both E6 reversal and colour negative super-8, also the same price to process S8 B&W reversal as negative :)

I'm sure in previous years (current prices are dated Dec '07) their minimum quantities for S8 were a tad on the large side, and their prices steeper than they are now?! Unfortunately when I phoned them last year about clip testing some 16mm film I was told they have a minimum order charge of £100, no exceptions. Not a problem if you've got x4 S8 cartridges to process, a bit limiting for less than that - and positively show stopping for me with a couple of clip tests, especially when they'd only charge £80 to develop the whole 400ft roll of film! :(

Ah well, it looks as if there are super-8 lab options in the UK again! :) (...ok, I accept "Film & Photo" never went away!)

I suspect the "Andec" processing service available through Blue CineTech (£11.99 E6 / £12.49 B&W) and the Widescreen Centre (£12.90 E6 / B&W , £13.90 col. neg) are probably more cost effective for smaller quantities if waiting a week or so isn't an issue.

I believe that Film & Photo's prices are ex VAT, so for a valid comparison to be made the price should be quoted at £34.50. I may be wrong...

The only film that I have seen come back from them (a clients footage that I was transferring) was on a core, not a reel. It was clearly a 16mm one cut in half. Took me by surprise a bit, but it was pretty easy to spool onto a reel (I didn't have an 8mm split reel to hand). The quality of the processing seemed perfectly good.

widescreen and others mentioned will give you a result,that is a little cheaper than a pro lab..

which is fine if you like the grungy home movie look.

soho film lab will be ok..

my money will be on i-lab on poland st...they will be doing super 8 soon...

so in soho you will have two decent labs,with real telecine machines..

good times..

widescreen and others mentioned will give you a result,that is a little cheaper than a pro lab..

which is fine if you like the grungy home movie look.

soho film lab will be ok..

my money will be on i-lab on poland st...they will be doing super 8 soon...

so in soho you will have two decent labs,with real telecine machines..

good times..

What makes you think that the processing will be "grungy" compared to that which Soho images (or whatever they are called now) & i-Lab will do? Both Widescreen/Blue CineTech do it through Andec, are you saying their processing is worse???

...widescreen and others mentioned will give you a result,that is a little cheaper than a pro lab..

which is fine if you like the grungy home movie look...

<snip>

...my money will be on i-lab on poland st...they will be doing super 8 soon...

Encouraging if iLab are going to offer S8 services as well - especially bearing in mind all the positive comments made about them!

...although like Bart, I was under the impression that Andec were a "Pro Lab"?? :huh:

Film & Photo don't advertise telecine services for S8, and the various prices quoted for W'Screen and BlueCT in the thread are for "process only".

do? Both Widescreen/Blue CineTech do it through Andec, are you saying their processing is worse???

it is about equipment and user base...i-labs new machine will cost a couple of hundred thousand pounds..

with that sort of investment now,the quality will have to be as good if not better than soho film lab.

i use to find todd ao's 16mm fantastic,but s8 sometimes could be rough.

andec is very good and offer a wide selection of film Processes.

soho lab and i-lab will be just super 8 neg,with 2 companies fighting for business so close to each other i think the quality should be very good.

i do not think the flash scan is a proper telecine an expensive posh projector.

i hope to god people are not using the flash scan then dumping original footage,cos i believe even a 12 year old cintel or bosch/bts machine will do a better job.

do? Both Widescreen/Blue CineTech do it through Andec, are you saying their processing is worse???

it is about equipment and user base...i-labs new machine will cost a couple of hundred thousand pounds..

with that sort of investment now,the quality will have to be as good if not better than soho film lab.

i use to find todd ao's 16mm fantastic,but s8 sometimes could be rough.

andec is very good and offer a wide selection of film Processes.

soho lab and i-lab will be just super 8 neg,with 2 companies fighting for business so close to each other i think the quality should be very good.

i hope to god people are not using the flash scan then dumping original footage,cos i believe even a 12 year old cintel or bosch/bts machine will do a better job.

The "user-base" that Andec have is pretty damn big, much larger (in Super 8 terms) than I-Lab or Images could hope to garner put together, and you say that their processing is "very good", so I fail to see what point you are trying to make. It seems to me more like it is an exercise in Widescreen/Flashscan-bashing more than anything else. And BTW I own/am Blue CineTech, and as I'm pretty sure that you have never used us I'll take your opinion about the services offered by my company ("others mentioned") with a very large pinch of salt.

In terms of processing quality if the chemistry is good and is regularly tested, and the machines move film through the correct baths at the correct temperatures for the correct times, and everything is kept clean enough, it is unlikely to make much difference if you use brand new or 20 year old kit. The likelihood is that in terms of processing (since that is what we were talking about) Andec, I-lab and Images (or whatever they are called now) will all probably be perfectly good. What is pretty much a given is that any company that has invested 200K in new plant is going to have to recoup that fairly pronto, the only way they can do this is to charge big money.

[quote I'll take your opinion about the services offered by my company ("others mentioned") with a very large pinch of salt.

What is pretty much a given is that any company that has invested 200K in new plant is going to have to recoup that fairly pronto, the only way they can do this is to charge big money.

well they will be using a slower dual s8, 16mm machine..i am sure they will have a very good price..and they have a spirit telecine machine.

no i have not used blue services,so cannot comment on your quality.

but in my humble opinion apart from a proper new or old telecine,the only great work i have seen is from video fred.

and yes i am not a fan of the widescreen centre.

the advantage super 8 has over other formats is wriggle room for poor quality control if it looks good great.

when bad it becomes the unique super 8 look. like this video which i think looks terrible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS1CW_kiXUI

when pro's are doing work this bad it is not a surprising labs and middlemen,do not have to try to hard.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

please can someone recommend me a lab, i have 3 carts of v3 requiring processing, which lab is the best for super 8 neg processing, i've seen samples online, and some of the processing suffers a lot of white crap on the film...

please can someone recommend me a lab, i have 3 carts of v3 requiring processing, which lab is the best for super 8 neg processing, i've seen samples online, and some of the processing suffers a lot of white crap on the film...

Well, if LOndon isn't good enough try directly Andec for quick and affordable. Or Super8.nl for personal service and quick processing.

Well, if LOndon isn't good enough try directly Andec for quick and affordable. Or Super8.nl for personal service and quick processing.

Soho film labs only process film purchased from them ( at least thats what they told me). If price is a consideration then go to Andec, direct (quickest) or through the Widescreen centre .

So the result from a Flashscan8 as a SD transfer is not good enough?

I take it all these clips are terrible then (since they are transferred with a "posh projector")? http://www.uppsalabildteknik.com/english/?page=112

Please keep in mind that most of them are from films that are very old. Check the music videos for new footage, and keep in mind that some of the music videos are colorcorrected to look "like old film" (that is pretty easy to spot if you know what to look for).

but in my humble opinion apart from a proper new or old telecine,the only great work i have seen is from video fred.

But what Videofred is showing is not "transferred super8". He is showing transferred and extensively colorcorrected/digitally enhanced footage. Give him a bad clip and he will make it look a lot better with all his filters and hours upon hours of work done to the clip. Stabilizing, sharpening, grain removal and whatnot.

I´m not saying he is doing anything wrong (some of his clips are awesome!), but I am saying that you cannot compare his "enhanced clips" to a raw transfer from anyone.

Compare a raw transfer to his original raw transfer without any digital filters added if you want to do a comparison. Or give the other transfer the same amount of time in postproduction from someone as skillful as Videofred with sharpening and de-shake/smoothing (and a lot of other filters) added.

yes great some of the best flashscan stuff i have seen.

but give me an old BTS QUADRA Telecine any day.

all these 2 to 30 thousand euros machines are great but we will have to agree to differ.

the fact is this is your investment in the flashscan but if you were given a proper telecine for free would you say no thanks i am happy with my flash machine.

your machine is a massive leap forward from the old elmo tvr,but i do not see pro film post houses dumping old kit for these.

i will just wait for the cintel ditto 2k scanner with s8 gate or stick to the older telecines.

but if you were given a proper telecine for free...

Nothing beats getting expensive equipment for free, does it? ;)

but give me an old BTS QUADRA Telecine any day.... we will have to agree to differ.

I haven´t seen any real comparisons, but of course a machine that costs several millions will be better than one that costs a fraction of that price.

What about a interesting comparison? I know you are very good with your camera, so send me one of your best reels (one that you have transferred before, with your preferred machine). Preferrably reversal, but I can do negative too. K40 or Velvia would be great (I have heard a lot of good things about Velvia, but haven´t had the pleasure to transfer that much myself, just a very underexposed shortfilm).

I will transfer it for free, we get a interesting test if the earlier scan you have made is online anywhere and I get to use a few clips as testclips on my website. Of course you get to see the clips and have the last word if I can use the specific clips I want to use.

Contact me if this sounds interesting. There is a VERY interesting detail to this test that I don´t want to reveal to the public quite yet...

I will tell you if you contact me at info@uppsalabildteknik.com :)

Hi all,

I work for Soho Film Lab and I wanted to let everone know that we are the ONLY facility in the UK that provides professional super8 colour negative developing.

Our transfers are provided via top end, professional telecine equipment (Ursa Diamond and HD/SD Spirit) to almost any format (Digibeta, Mini DV, DVD or even flash drives etc...)

We do sell Kodak stock but you do not have to purchase it from SFL to process!

We are one of the very few, full service labs in the UK looking after 35mm (neg, pos, colour and B/W), 16mm (neg, pos, colour and B/W) and Super 8 (neg, col.)

We all love 8mm at SFL and we are proud sponsors of the Cambridge Super8 Festival and Straight8!

Hope this is of interest.

Oliver

I work for Soho Film Lab and I wanted to let everone know that we are the ONLY facility in the UK that provides professional super8 colour negative developing.

Our transfers are provided via top end, professional telecine equipment (Ursa Diamond and HD/SD Spirit) to almost any format (Digibeta, Mini DV, DVD or even flash drives etc...)

We do sell Kodak stock but you do not have to purchase it from SFL to process!

We are one of the very few, full service labs in the UK looking after 35mm (neg, pos, colour and B/W), 16mm (neg, pos, colour and B/W) and Super 8 (neg, col.)

Oliver

nice to get a reply from someone from SFL, i have a few questions as i couldnt find alot on the website. do you have a price list for super 8 stock, process and telecine? i am really interested in the quick turnaround time i have heard about, would it be possible to buy reversal stock from you, and have it processes and telecine if i send it from plymouth, in say, under 2 weeks? can you also to telecine to a memory stick instead of a minidv tape, if we provide it?

thanks

tom

nice to get a reply from someone from SFL, i have a few questions as i couldnt find alot on the website. do you have a price list for super 8 stock, process and telecine? i am really interested in the quick turnaround time i have heard about, would it be possible to buy reversal stock from you, and have it processes and telecine if i send it from plymouth, in say, under 2 weeks? can you also to telecine to a memory stick instead of a minidv tape, if we provide it?

thanks

tom

Thanks for the interest in SFL Tom.

I don't want to use the forum as a sales platform so its probably best if you drop an email to Dick Knapman at the lab!

However, to give you the basics, developing is £25 a roll and transfer is £20 a roll but best to drop a line for all the details:

bookings@sohofilmlab.co.uk

Discount is offered with volume and we are not yet doing a process paid service. This is still being discussed!

Stock is not something we really push (more an add-on for our customers) but we do sell Vision 2 200T 7217 and 500T 7218 both at £12.50 per roll.

We may sell more types in the future but we have only just started the super 8 neg. dev in the last month. Note that we don't process 64T at the moment (as it is a different chemical process to our existing business lines)

Also, just so you know, SFL has been created by the merger of Todd AO and Soho Images so we have the best talent from both facilities but, with our relaunch and £1 million re-development, happening only last August, it has taken a while to get the super 8 services up to the top of the list!

We are getting there though!

Comments about the detail on the website is duly noted and we will look to get more detail in the coming weeks.

cheers

Oliver

However, to give you the basics, developing is £25 a roll and transfer is £20 a roll but best to drop a line for all the details:

Stock is not something we really push (more an add-on for our customers) but we do sell Vision 2 200T 7217 and 500T 7218 both at £12.50 per roll.

Oliver

£57.50 for 50ft........... :blink: :blink:

not being funny but those prices are shocking,why shoot super 8,when i can get 16mm done 40% cheaper.

i think a little local competition is needed.

by the way i have not got a problem with paying top dollar but i expect the finest quality, your 16 and 35 has always been good but i know better and cheaper s8 labs. :rolleyes:

Oliver

£57.50 for 50ft........... :blink: :blink:

not being funny but those prices are shocking,why shoot super 8,when i can get 16mm done 40% cheaper.

i think a little local competition is needed.

by the way i have not got a problem with paying top dollar but i expect the finest quality, your 16 and 35 has always been good but i know better and cheaper s8 labs. :rolleyes:

yes, i have seen super 8 cartridges + processing for about £24 in the uk, but i guess your paying for the turn around time, for instance i thought there was a 500t minimum at soho film lab for 16mm, so being able to get such a short amoung of super 8 is good. all of the slide/positive film is sent to a germany?? lab for processing so takes about two weeks with widescreen etc

Edited by Stephen Smith

and thats £57 quid before vat,nr enough £70 pounds,for 2min 40,and then min order kicks in.

and i do not believe it is every day i think it is every 5 days,not really sure what your paying for.

£70 per roll i would want a lovely hand graded spirit hd telecine session. :P

Edited by alan doyle