Faint By Numbers

Hey everyone, here are some stills from the first round of shoots of my new film "Faint by Numbers." Its s16mm shot on the SR2 With super speed lenses. the current images are from DVCAM tapes and we will be upgrading the tapes to most liely dvcpro50 for the offline then hd for the online(this should clean up some of the video noise caused by the DVCAM compression.) but for now let me know what you think.

The bar shots and the last shot are 7219, the office is 7217.

2lw8z7r.png

287zvj5.png

6fxic1.png

9zq5n6.png

11hs3l3.png

14xndx4.png

Feedback is always welcomed.

Very nice work. The first two are a little flat for me but the rest is nice. You have S16 looking like 35. Good job. Love the bottles.

btw... if I may suggest, always transfer to HDCam first... then down convert from there to what you'll need. Then, Tape to Tape color correct another HDCam of your selects.. down convert them to what you'll need. Up converting from DVCam up... not so good. If not HDCam.. starting at DVCPro50 would be the way to go.

ok.. so you are going to Re-Transfer selected takes from the Neg. That is the best way to go.... "upgrading the tapes to most likely dvcpro50 for the offline then hd for the online" sounded like you were literally upconverting from DVCam up.

HaHa no, sorry about the poor phrasing. The bottles were a gutted kino kit(gotta love them).

• Premium Member
The first two are a little flat for me but the rest is nice. You have S16 looking like 35. Good job.

I might want to disagree with you, David. Most of the shots, save the one with the close-up in the foreground and the woman in the background, look very flat to me, and most of the lighting feels unmotivated and just like fill light gone wild. I think it still looks like Super16.

Chris, I'd pay attention to your levels, and see that your actors don't pop out of the background so much like that - especially in a bar situation.

But, yes, the bottles are nice.

• Premium Member
Man, you're TOUGH! :huh:

I agree... but give the guy a break...

...the bottles (do) look great, huh? :P

Yeah... For some reason I've found I do dish it when it comes to reviewing work. But I would only hope for an expect the same with my own work. Haha, if you agree then you should give it to him straight! :rolleyes: Maybe he'll learn more.

Yeah, they look pretty good.

Yeah... For some reason I've found I do dish it when it comes to reviewing work. But I would only hope for an expect the same with my own work. Haha, if you agree then you should give it to him straight! :rolleyes: Maybe he'll learn more.

Yeah, they look pretty good.

Yes, the pictures are somewhat to pretty flatly lit, but I guess it depends what school of cinematography you adhere to and not so much what the cinematographer needs to learn.

Anyone familiar with the work of Lance Acord would agree that he lights his movies in what I consider to be a very flat style. In the behind the scenes for Marie Antoinette, he acknowledges that flat lighting is his style, from which he departed for that period movie. I respect the man as a cinematographer, but that doesn't mean I light that way myself for most projects. His work on Buffalo 66 is outstanding in its even-lit cinematography.

So it could just be a matter of intent _although some people just don't really know how to light either, and may use the "flatly-lit by intent" as a cop out. And I know one cinematographer _who has posted here briefly_ who considers the dramatic lighting style as "Hollywood cinematography group-think." ;)

Edited by Saul Rodgar