which 16mm stock would be suitable to achieve this look?

hello all,

i've attached a reference photo that we're using for an upcoming project that i'm shooting. just wondering which 16mm stock people would recommend to achieve a similar style (colour, constrast & texture) to the attached image.

the film will consist of an interior bedroom scene, which will be lit with daylight-balanced lamps and exteriors, which will most probably be shot around magic hour and will ideally have a warmer, golden feel to them. thanks very much for your time!

regards,

edward goldner

post-29107-1235907757.jpg

I have gotten similar results using Fuji 8683 400T (rated 200) under fluorescents and tungsten lights and tweaked in post. Your sample picture has no grain though. Film will have more grain. Definitely send the sample pic to the telecine lab for reference!

Edited by Saul Rodgar

Guest John Lasher
explain what you mean by 'rated 200'

He means you're going to intentionally overexpose the film. Set your light meter to 200 ASA (even though the film stock is 400 ASA).

When you send that roll for processing, be sure to tell the lab what you did, they will under-develop the roll to compensate. (I believe this is pulling one stop, someone correct me if I'm wrong.) While this seems elaborate, the lab I use doesn't charge anything extra for it.

What this will do, among other things, is reduce the appearance of grain, getting you closer to the very clean look of the sample image. This is a rare case of 2 wrongs making a right.

(Conversely if you wanted a grainier-than-normal image, you could rate the film at 800, and have the lab push, or overdevelop it.)

As others have said, definitely send your sample image to the lab.

Edited by John Lasher

Actually, shooting 400t rated at 200t is just to expose some of the finer grains which inturn diminishes grain perception. You don't have the lab do anything. You just correct this overexposure with printer lights or in telecine. Pull Processing will actually increase grain perception.

Actually, shooting 400t rated at 200t is just to expose some of the finer grains which inturn diminishes grain perception. You don't have the lab do anything. You just correct this overexposure with printer lights or in telecine. Pull Processing will actually increase grain perception.

Indeed.