Canon 1014 Auto Zoom Electronic trigger trouble...

Kris Winser

Hello all,

I have a Canon 1014 Auto Zoom Electronic super 8mm camera and was wondering if anyone has come across this problem before....

my camera tends to keep running despite taking my finger off, sometimes it's for a few seconds while on other occasions it requires turn the main power switch to 'off' to get it to stop running!! obviously this isn't good as i'm wasting precious film!! it's in the 'run' position not the 'run lock' position...

any thoughts?

thanks in advance...

Kris

Hi Kris:

This happened to me as well but with the 814 Auto Zoom Electronic. I thought it might have been the actual switch sticking electrically, but it wasn't. It turned out to be some mechanical lever and linkage which was connected to the trigger. I managed to open the 814 just enough to get some WD40 on it. It worked well, but then I got ahead of myself and blindly sprayed more into the cameras cavity (duh) as overkill. The switch continued to work, but now the inside optics were contaminated with oil everywhere, so my efforts caused me to trash it, since getting it serviced for my blunder would have cost me much more.

I had the same issue on my 1014. I actually built a manual 'shut of switch' into the battery compartment. It gave me quicker access to shutting off the camera rather than turning it off with the dial. I looked into getting it serviced and they estimated at least 2 hours or so of work, running close to $300 for the job. I ended up selling it on ebay for about $185 and bought a new one off Austrian Ebay for $265 including shipping. It is practically mint. If you are willing to shell out a lot for the repair, maybe it would be good to upgrade to crystal sync. I think pro 8 will refurbish the camera when they do the sync upgrade and then you are set for sound (I can't believe I'm endorsing Pro 8!). Just an Idea. If not, and you want to try replacing it, you can usually get a good deal through the difference. Good Luck.

• 3 years later...

I have just purchased a Canon Auto Zoom 814 Electronic Camera. The battery checker indicates that I have power. I can use the power zooming functions. Yet, when I squeeze the trigger nothing happens. No noise, no movement from the film transport indicator. Nothing. Am I doing something wrong? Is there any way of any way of fixing the problem or have I bought a dud.

First thing, check your settings. Turn the run dial to off, then to R. Turn the speed control to 18 or 24, not the red 1. Make sure the shutter dial isn't set to "Stop." It should be on "Open."

Next, try fresh batteries.

If, after all that, it's still busted, see if you can get you money back. The motor is either burnt out or has a short. And the AZE is a huge pain to get apart. My gut tells me a control is set to something it shouldn't be.

Thanks Zac,

I tried setting the camera to all those setting I even found an old downloadable manuel and set everything up the way they said to. Im guessing the motor is burnt. I heard of a store Spectra, apperently they specialize in Canon camera's. I might send it to them or may just sell the camera back to the seller.

I liked the Canon Autozoom 814 a lot but I hate buying from eBay. Do you know any stores that are trustworthy that sell Super 8 Camera's? Also if I cant get this fixed I may look into other Super 8 camera's, any suggestions?

No Problem! I had to suggest the easy solutions first! :)

Off hand I don't know of anywhere that sells a reasonably priced camera. Maybe there is a market for a new super 8 camera.

I think you're thinking of Pro8, not Spectra. And I've heard mixed things about Pro8's rebuilds, which are certainly not cheap. I picked up both my 814 AZEs off of ebay. The first one was busted (broken wire in the grip) but the second one worked like a charm. If you get one working, they're great cameras.

If it's busted anyway, you might want to try fixing it yourself. Repair costs can be ridiculous. These are a bit of a pain to take apart though.

What you buy is usually determined by your budget. I like the 814 AZE because it's a great bang for the buck. If money was no object, I'd say Leicina Special, followed by Zeiss GS8.

If I was going to get something new for myself, it would probably be a Beaulieu. C-mount means I could use my Arri 16mm cine lenses or M-42 still lenses with adapters.

If you're patient, you'll find a good 814 AZE off ebay for a decent price. Don't be afraid to ask questions before you buy. I think the holidays have driven prices up. I bought mine for under $30 each, in summer. I was seeing prices of ~$150 right now. Unless you need to finish a Super 8 shoot right now, I'd say hold off buying until the prices are more reasonable.

The older Autozoom (not electronic) tends to sell for more than the Electronic even though it doesn't meter as well, because it's more rugged and serviceable.

I goofed. Spectra does sell+service cameras too.

Kinda,

They had a guy they brought in-house a few years ago but now he has split off to be a separate business which they refere everyone too.

http://willardengineering.com/

They and Pro8mm are good houses for Canon servicing, but Pro8mm is definitely pricey. Thus far (with issues I've had) they've stood by their work.

The 518s are good introductory cameras, if you get one cheap. They will auto expose for 25T/16D, 40T/25D, 64T/40D, 100T/64D, 160T/100D, 250T/160D and 400T/250D. Sadly many otherwise great cameras only meter for 40 or 160.

They let you roll at 24 FPS (or 18 if you want). That's important for me.

They can be problematic, like any super 8 camera. Almost every one ever made is getting up there in age (except for some Gakken kits and a handful of Beulieus that were made into the 90s).

If you are unable to get your money back, or you face having to wear it and buy another, you could try to work on it yourself.

Admitedly proffesional repair is the best idea, yet some repairs can be more than the camera is worth.

Over time I have managed to repair simple faults with the Canons, just by doing a little T.L.C

http://canon-s8-repair.yolasite.com/

814 & 1014? Unless you want the extra bells and whistles, the main difference between the cameras is the zoom length, but the price difference is huge, go for the 814.

cheers, Gareth

• 5 years later...

People, the reason for this has nothing to do with the trigger, well sort of. It is the magnetic release. It has failed. I have opened up and repaired over a 100 of the Canon models that have this problem.

The 1014 Auto Zoom E

The 814 Auto Zoom E

and the 512xl all have a magnetic shutter release that fails at the switch.

Two things happen:

1. The camera will run even with the finger off the trigger. That is the best of the two failures

2, The auto zoom and auto exposure contrls work but the shutter will not run. This is the worst of the two.

DO NOT part them out, they can be repaired without sending them in for a $250 repair

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...