NPR Motors for Slow-Mo

Scott Bryant

So far i've only been able to find motors for the NPR that run at 45fps. Does anyone know of a faster one? Perhaps 75fps? I'm looking to shoot some slow motion scenes and I don't want to have to buy a b-cam to do this or is that just typical? I don't need sync at that speed. If buying a new camera is the only option what would a good one be on a micro budget?

and I would prefer to just use my npr since it is going to be ultra 16 and I don't want to get another camera converted if I don't have to due to the cost.

Edited by Scott Bryant

Speaking to an Eclair tech years ago, I believe he said that the internals of the NPR weren't designed to run more than about 40 fps, so it would not be recommended. BUT, if you find a way to do it, let me know. As we know, these old cameras do many things they weren't designed to do ;)

Since the ACL was recommended above. Can anyone tell me if I could put the heavy duty 75 fps motor on an ACL 1?

Speaking to an Eclair tech years ago, I believe he said that the internals of the NPR weren't designed to run more than about 40 fps, so it would not be recommended. BUT, if you find a way to do it, let me know. As we know, these old cameras do many things they weren't designed to do ;)

Since the ACL was recommended above. Can anyone tell me if I could put the heavy duty 75 fps motor on an ACL 1?

Yes, you can, but you need to make sure you get the adapter plate that goes with it. The small motor has a small motor-to-body adapter plate, while the larger motors use either a larger plate or an adapter that makes the small plate larger. Besides that, it's a drop-in replacement. But if your early model ACL has the small base, it will not be able to use the advanced feature of the motor (available depending on the model of HD motor), such as mirror parking in viewing position of external synchronisation. These features are dependant on the electronics in the base.

B.