Looking for DOP - Manhattan

We are shooting a short film for festivals here in Manhattan.

It involves some known working actors, great locations (a few offices locked and a gorgeous loft) and an expandable budget

As of now, we are planning to use both an EX1 with a Letus35 Extreme and the Canon 5DMKII (possibly multiple 5Ds on set). We have some connections for a RED ONE but it seems this is unnecessary for time and look ( we are focusing on story and the digital look for this ). The RED option is subject to change however and we are willing to discuss options with any DOP who is interested in the project and wants to discuss different options that are feasible within the style and skillset of said DP.

To further this, we are willing to shoot in any format as now (even film if the DOP owns a camera) but digital seems to be the way we are going.

The budget is between 5-12k (subject to change as interest grows). Shooting dates are also up in the air. Some casting is still being done but locations are LOCKED and all crew is available. DOP would be able to help us judge better available dates for shoots.

It sounds like this is all in the air but we are in the middle of pre-production and can catch anyone up who is available, interested in a serious modern and relevant short, and has the artistic prowess to adapt and push the limits of digital cinematography.

Candidates must have knowledge of film history and styles, have used relevant gear and/or own relevant gear and possess a reel of their work.

Payment is negotiable but will be low. The payment will really be in the festivals we go to, film transfers, and working with professional actors on nice locations. Also the chance to work on something that is original, artistic and exciting.

The script is 20 pages as of now ( a 15 page version exists for smaller festivals ) but the script may grow to become 30 pages. We are even considering options of shooting 30 minutes as a lead-in for a feature or other new digital distribution methods. Once you see the script we are working with, you will see the possibility to grow or minimize the piece accordingly. This makes shoot dates rather easy going and sporadic as not all the scenes need to take place back to back or on constant locations.

I think I've said enough for now. Professional and SERIOUS candidates ONLY!!!!

Post contact information and/or PM me and I will send you my e-mail. Would rather not paste it only to be spammed by passer-bys or the non-serious types :)

Guest Zach Wise

I'm currently looking for some creative films/production to work on and I live in Manhattan, so this definitely caught my eye.

I have (until now) shot on XH-A1 with a Letus-35 Extreme and I am now shooting on a 5DMKII. I'm excited about pushing the limits of this camera and exploring what you can do with a camera this size.

I've mostly done documentary work. You can view my reel here: http://digitalartwork.net/2008/12/21/demo-reel-2008/ or here: http://www.vimeo.com/2598051 .

Let me know if we might be a good fit. Thanks,

Zach Wise

My contact info is here http://digitalartwork.net/about/

I think I've said enough for now. Professional and SERIOUS candidates ONLY!!!!

Post contact information and/or PM me and I will send you my e-mail. Would rather not paste it only to be spammed by passer-bys or the non-serious types :)

Hi Chris,

Was about to PM you, but your inbox is full.

My Email is : ORONCOHENFILM@GMAIL.COM

Edited by Oron Cohen

• Premium Member
Are you kidding Jon?

Of course he was kidding, Tim!

And I sent a PM a lil while ago, but it went unanswered. Dunno if that inbox will get cleared anytime soon.

Of course I'm kidding! Jeez! (But, I do want the guy to look at my site.)

Wow, how easily things get overblown.

Humor and sarcasm are things that don't make it over the internet without the human inflection unless it is specifically spelled out. So that is why I asked if he was kidding. I asked and he answered. That is all it is. Don't make it into something it is not.

And for those of you who don't know, Jon and I have known each other for what I guess is ten years years or perhaps a little more. We have similiar career paths and ambition, and I wouldn't hesitate recommending him if I were unable to shoot something.

Best

Tim

• Premium Member
Humor and sarcasm are things that don't make it over the internet without the human inflection unless it is specifically spelled out. So that is why I asked if he was kidding. I asked and he answered. That is all it is. Don't make it into something it is not.

Correct, and I don't think it got made into anything it wasn't. Came and went.

BTW, Has anyone got a response??

Nada.

• Premium Member
Thats was awesome! It got me to look at your site. I think I'm gonna try this approach when looking for gigs to color correct.

Just make sure they don't think you're totally serious and come off looking like a d-bag.