High power bulbs in practical sockets

Hi Gang,

I was wondering if someone could explain to me how to go about using higher power bulbs in a practical socket. Can you just pop one into a standard household lamp if you are using it for a short amount of time, like turning it off between takes?

Or is it something where you have to modify a practical lamp to make it work?

Also, who would make bulbs to use for this, are they available for ordering online?

Any information you would have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Ian Carleton

What you can do is use flouro CFL bulbs to replace the practical tungsten lamps. They put out 4x the output I think, at least that's what I see on the meter. I've heard the kino tubes can put out 10x the output of standard flouros but I have yet to confirm that.

Anyways, when using CFLs, or swirlies, as I call them, don't use bulbs that surpass the wattage rating in the socket. a 65watt flouro bulb will put out equavalent heat to a 65watt tungsten, with many more times the lumans output

You can buy photo bulbs (clear or frosted) at most photography supply stores that go as high as 500 watts and will fit in standard sockets. To avoid a serious fire hazard, you need to make sure the sockets are porcelain for anything 300 watts or greater. Plastic sockets will melt and could cause a fire.