great director/cinematographer collaborations

Chris Montte

• Premium Member
If Im not mistaken, Empire of the Sun is their only collaboration other than the work they did together in film school.

What??? For Spielberg, Daviau shot "E.T.", "The Color Purple", "Empire of the Sun", Spielberg's portion of "Twilight Zone: The Movie", plus pick-ups for "Close Encounters" and "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom".

Daviau was nominated for Oscars for all three Spielberg features.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What??? For Spielberg, Daviau shot "E.T.", "The Color Purple", "Empire of the Sun", Spielberg's portion of "Twilight Zone: The Movie", plus pick-ups for "Close Encounters" and "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom".

Daviau was nominated for Oscars for all three Spielberg features.

Pardon me. I forgot about those. Of those, I still think Empire of the Sun is the best. The attack of the P-51s and the scene where jim walks up to the Zero before being interned at the camp are amazingly shot.

Woody Allen's work with Gordon Willis on three b&w movies is worth studying: "Manhattan", "Stardust Memories" and to a lesser extent, "Broadway Danny Rose" (though in some ways, that one is the most entertaining.)

Zelig is also really beautiful, and the film is just fantastic :).

I really like his work on A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy and The Purple Rose of Cairo, it's very subtle.

Allen worked with Nykvist as well, he's a huge fan of bergman's work and you can feel his influence. Another women for instance is deeply moving, I think this movie is really under esteemed

• 2 weeks later...

This is actualy a three way collaboration, Baz Luhrmann (director), Catherine Martin (production designer and baz's wife) and Don M Mcalpine (DP), Catherine martin won an oscar for best costume design in Moulin Rouge (I think, not to sure) And Don M Mcalpine was nominated for best cinematography for moulin rouge in 2002. It really was a great collaboration they have made Strictly Ballroom, Romeo + Juliet and Moulin Rouge (my favourite).

Edited by Frederik Nielssen

• 10 months later...

Great combos listed here. So many films that I have to re-watch now. A couple collaborations that I didn't see listed though, perhaps not "masters," but a couple of my current favorites on the more stylized end of the spectrum:

Chan-wook Park and Chung-hoon Chung (Thirst, Oldboy, etc)

Johnnie To and Siu-keung Cheng (Exlied, PTU, Election, etc)

Edited by David Bowsky

• Premium Member
John Ford and Winton C. Hoch.

Ford evidently was not much for sharing credit, but with Hoch, his films became art.

Claus.

Also,

Ford/Toland 'The Long Voyage Home'

Ford/Toland 'Grapes of Wrath'

Ford/Bert Glennon 'Stagecoach'

Ford/Glennon, Miller 'Young Mr. Lincoln'

Ford/Arthur C. Miller 'How Green Was My Valley'

Ford/Gabriel Figueroa 'The Fugitive'

Ford/Joe MacDonald 'My Darling Clementine'

Ford/Archie Stout 'Fort Apache'

Ford/William Clothier 'Cheyenne Autumn'

I'd throw in two from the silent era:

D.W. Griffith and Billy Bitzer

Charlie Chaplin and Rollie Totheroh

(and, IMO, these two tie in the award for coolest DP name. With names like those, could they have been anything other than cameramen?)

And, would it be a cop out to suggest:

[any director] and Gregg Toland ?

BR

• 2 weeks later...
Leone - Delli Colli

I totally agree....but there is one name I `ve never read around here or in the AC either: Peter Hyams. Like Sodderbergh he does both jobs himself, but his work doesn`t seem to get respected the way it should be...it`s my impression anyway.

• 2 weeks later...