straight 8 2009 event STILL OPEN

Will Cummock

hi,

many people seem to be under the impression that straight 8 2009 is no longer open to enter- this is probably our fault for saying the entry period was from December-February.

we've extended the deadline for completed films until the 30th march, anyone can enter right up to the deadline as long as it leaves sufficient time for us to get the film out and for you to shoot and return it.

just to recap:

entry is only available through www.straight8.net (more info on straight 8 for the uninitiated also on there)

the best films will premiere at cannes film festival in may with the best of the entries from people working in advertising playing at cannes lions advertising festival in june. we'll have a massive round of premieres at rushes soho shorts festival in july and loads more at screenings all over the world.

will

• Premium Member

Let me see if I understand this Straight 8 2009 film festival concept.

You are asking people to pay you $102 plus the cost of return postage to Great Britain, which would run about another ten bucks from here in the States.

So you are asking people to pay you $112 US dollars for the privilege of shooting their best creative ideas onto film and recording their best creative audio, and then sending it all to you so you can put it on a DVD and then sell that DVD for a profit for yourself. And you're calling it a film festival.

Wow, that's truly amazing.

-Tim

Let me see if I understand this Straight 8 2009 film festival concept.

You are asking people to pay you $102 plus the cost of return postage to Great Britain, which would run about another ten bucks from here in the States.

So you are asking people to pay you $112 US dollars for the privilege of shooting their best creative ideas onto film and recording their best creative audio, and then sending it all to you so you can put it on a DVD and then sell that DVD for a profit for yourself. And you're calling it a film festival.

Wow, that's truly amazing.

-Tim

yes tim, that's exactly right!

the market for super 8 films on dvd is huge right now.

on the other hand taking a program of super 8 films to cannes film festival, cannes lions advertising festival, rushes soho shorts festival, as well as venues in the usa, germany, france, the netherlands, spain and more costs peanuts.

and of course employing one and a half people full-time for the whole year is free.

please READ, RESEARCH and THINK before posting such acidic comments.

straight 8 is not a profit making exercise or a funded organisation. it exists fairly subsistently.

straight 8 is a film event not a festival as such

• Premium Member

How much do you pay someone when you use their material, their creative vision on the film and audio? OH RIGHT, NOTHING!

Sounds like a great deal.

Best of luck with that.

-Tim

PS: On the other hand, if someone has a Super 8 camera, for that same $112 they could buy a roll of film, shoot it, have it processed and telecined. Then they could take it and edit it with a free program like iMovie, add their audio, and burn a DVD themselves and submit it to a REAL film festival, where (if it is good) they will get the credit and possibly sell the material, and the profit and the credit and the recognition will go to the creator.

How much do you pay someone when you use their material, their creative vision on the film and audio? OH RIGHT, NOTHING!

Sounds like a great deal.

Best of luck with that.

-Tim

PS: On the other hand, if someone has a Super 8 camera, for that same $112 they could buy a roll of film, shoot it, have it processed and telecined. Then they could take it and edit it with a free program like iMovie, add their audio, and burn a DVD themselves and submit it to a REAL film festival, where (if it is good) they will get the credit and possibly sell the material, and the profit and the credit and the recognition will go to the creator.

is cannes not a real festival tim?

i've heard that people make lots these days from short films made on super 8. and the short film market in general has really taken off hasn't it?

it hasn't.

i'm not going to waste my time replying to any more of your misguided posts.

perhaps you should canvas the opinion of those that have been involved in the event in the past.

FYI

filmmakers are:

always fully credited

they retain all the rights to the work on a non-exclusive basis (they can enter it to any film festival)

can opt out of being included online or on our dvd

• Premium Member

Will,

It took quite a bit of time and quite a bit of digging on your web site to find the information you are referring to.

So it is not a film festival, it is more like a "24 hour make a movie" contest?

And you only mention in passing that a person can get their film back after the contest is over. What is the cost of getting your film back? And it's the actual film, not a digital transfer of such.

I did see the bicycling film you worked on last year, it was moving.

There are so many people out there trying to take advantage of filmmakers, at times I get overly aggressive when I think I've stumbled upon another.

I apologize for misrepresenting your event. Best of luck with it.

-Tim